Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Exploring Predestination in FATED HEARTS, by P.R. Mason


As I was working on the sequel to my urban fantasy novel, ENTANGLEMENTS, I became obsessed with the concept of predestination and the line between fate  and free will.
My father always came down on the side of 100% predetestination because he often had vivid dreams that foretold future events in his life. Some of these occurred years after the dream. For instance, when he was married to my mother he had a dream about visiting another woman in the hospital to visit the baby they'd had together. Nice, right? So he thought every event in his life was "fated" to happen and his choices made no difference.
I argued that choices had to matter, arguing that his dreams were precognitive of an event that would happen only if he continued on the path on which he was traveling at the time. And those dreams of events that never happened were forgotten because he had changed paths. Anyway, these issues came to the forefront of my mind in relation to an idea about two characters and so I felt driven to write their story.  The 11000-word paranormal romance novella FATED HEARTS is the result. It was just released. Here's the blurb:

EVE has always played by the rules, afraid to take chances. HOLDEN wants to change that. She's certain they've never met before...or have they? Holden seems so familiar, but who is he? What is he? Yesterday her biggest challenge was trying not to bomb on her SATs. Today, paranormal forces have transformed an ordinary high school dance into a test of fate vs. free will and loving Holden could be Eve's end.
It's available exclusively at Amazon: http://amzn.com/B006XVD53O
You can read an excerpt by clicking on the link. I hope you'll check it out!

8 comments:

  1. An interesting concept. Like your father, I believe in my dreams, and they do happen, right away, the next day or week. It's kind of scary, and often leave me shaky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Predestination is an interesting concept, yet I'd like to think we have a choice in the matter.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks awesome, PR! Right up my alley. :) And the cover is lovely|!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing excerpt and concept. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cover! I loved your explanation of predestiny being if we stay on this path right now. That was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you got my attention! Dreams and predestination? Thought provoking!

      Delete
  6. I love the cover and concept. Another book for my reading pile. hehe

    ReplyDelete