Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Riley's Journey by P. L. Parker


Ever wonder if modern man could survive the trials and hardships of the last great Ice Age? I've always been interested in ancient history, the farther back the better. After a particularly engrossing chapter of the Discovery Channel about the discovery of the Oetzi, the frozen mummified body in the Alps, the idea for my time travel novel, Riley’s Journey, came into being. I was captivated by the trials and tribulations this ancient man must have endured before his eventual death. Why was he in that place, frozen for all time? My creative juices flowed. How would modern man measure up under the same circumstances? Would he fare better? Worse? Without modern conveniences, would he even survive? My personal opinion was…perhaps. But it would have to be an individual skilled in living off the land, comfortable with crafting and using ancient weaponry, and the daring to go forth and multiply. A lone person might survive, but without human society, would he have the will to continue.

Blurb:

The research project was only for an "extended period." No one said anything about forever! Deceived and betrayed, Riley is sent back 40,000 years to be the mate of a man she’d never before met. Her journey will take her into a world fraught with dangers—a world made more treacherous by savage beasts, primitive Neanderthals, and the incursion of the aggressive Cro-Magnon man.

Surviving alone for five years in this vast wilderness, Nathan, along with his enormous dog, Demon, carve out a life in the perilous environment. Though thrown together by forces beyond their control, Riley and Nathan nevertheless find love—but can these two lost souls survive against such overwhelming odds?

Excerpt:

He nodded. “Bethany offered me the chance to come here. She knew I needed to hide and I had nothing to lose, so she sent me through.”
“But why am I here?” Riley waited for an answer.
He paced the room, his face unreadable. “I think that’s partly my fault.”
“Your fault! How could it be your fault?”
“Sometimes, if Aunt Bethany happens to be monitoring from that end, and I’m down by the drop point, she must be able to hear me, because equipment, food, that sort of thing will be waiting,” he paused, drawing a breath. “It’s lonely here, no one to talk to. You’ve seen the others, they’re the only other humanoids in the area. They don’t like me and I don’t like them. We keep away from each other as much as possible. I had to teach them a lesson a time or two, but they respect me. They leave me alone and I return the favor.”
“Okay, so we’ve established why you’re here. Now, what about me?” Riley waited, fearful of his response.
He fidgeted, seemingly uneasy about answering. “I think Aunt Bethany sent you here for me. I think she sent you here to be my mate.”
Stunned, Riley stared blankly at him for what seemed like hours, her mind refusing to accept what he had said. She was here in this God-forsaken wilderness because he needed a girlfriend? What kind of crap was that?
Finally, he broke the silence. “Aren’t you going to say anything?”
“What do you expect me to say? Thank you? If even a small part of what you say is true, then I’m stuck here for eternity with a guy I don’t even know, in a place I hate and with no future. Yeah, I guess that comes under ‘thank you!’”

Review - 5 Hearts from The Romance Studio:  “This imaginative story captivates with thrills and excitement that spin with every turn of the page. As the storyline with Riley and Nathan unfold, it is an experience that grips the reader as they try every way to find a survival pattern to keep them from any danger. This is a smashing good story with excellent writing. --The Romance Studio - 5/5 Hearts - Reviewed by Linda L.”


12 comments:

  1. What an interesting premise. I am quite curious to read the book and this survival story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mona - first of a series, currently writing the third sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a book I will absolutely love. Bought it! Thanks so much for the post. I hadn't heard of this book before now.
    Laurie
    Laurie's Non-paranormal Thoughts & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laurie! Hope you enjoy it. It was a fun story to write, loved the research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great plotline and lovely cover!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating concept. Love the book cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies for stopping by. Enjoyed reading your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blurb and excerpt. Caught my interest for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely my kind of story! Bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ladies and Elysa - hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete