Celebrate This Blog!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Just One Look At Joan Reeves

I’m glad I had the chance to blog today about two of my books Just One Look and Still The One because the price is probably being adjusted even as I write this. If it's raised before you have a chance to act, I'll apologize in advance.

I’ve had these books priced at a low $.99 on Amazon from the day each was published. Recently, I made the difficult decision to raise each of them to the standard $2.99 price that my other romantic comedies carry. Now is the time to grab a copy before the price adjusts.

The Lingerie Covers

Just One Look, Still The One, Jane (I’m Still Single) Jones, and a book as yet untitled comprise what I call The Lingerie Cover Books. That label is self-explanatory. When I was getting ready to publish my first ebook, I wanted a cover that would appeal to women.

Most women love beautiful lingerie. I know I do. So I thought beautiful lingerie would make an appealing cover. Before I knew it, I had 3 books with lingerie covers. This month, I’ll publish a fourth. I wish I could tell you the title, but I’m still uncertain about what to call it. All of these books were previously print published.

Just One Look

This was my first ebook, published in late March 2011. Sales have been utterly amazing--more than 120,000 copies in less than a year. There’s just something about the book that appeals to readers. Is it the cover? Is it the slightly absurd premise: ‟What would you do if the gynecologist subbing for your regular doctor turned out to be your old high school crush?”

Is it the sex which is more discussed than acted upon–usually in an odd, often hilarious, scene? Or is it just that it’s an entertaining, ‟escape from your troubles” read? I call all my romantic comedies ‟a little vacation between the covers of a book.”

A Peek At Just One Look

Successful psychologist Dr. Jennifer Monroe does what any normal, well-adjusted woman would do. She makes an excuse to send the doctor and nurse from the room, dives into her clothes, and flees!

Unfortunately, her running away makes conscientious Dr. Penrose conclude she has some kind of sexual hangup. He's determined to refer her to another doctor for her health's sake. If he can just talk to her, he'll suggest counseling for what he thinks are emotional problems.

Jennifer refuses to take his phone calls, and she plans to never see him again. After all, Dallas is a big city. What are the odds that she'd ever run into him again? Even money when Fate lends a hand. When Jennifer and Matt meet at a charity gala, he earnestly urges her to seek professional help. Jennifer is incensed that he seems to think she's some frigid old maid. All the old high school resentment floods back, fueling her determination to teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.

With Jennifer, payback is a scorcher. Kids play doctor, but these doctors play seduction games. And they're playing for keeps. Will Matt recognize Jennifer? Will Jennifer lure him into her bed? Seduction and sex can be pretty funny when both sides play dirty!

Still The One

Published two months after Just One Look, Still The One has sold about 40,000 copies, I think. Some readers have proclaimed it the best romance they ever read, but we all know beauty in books is in the eye of the beholder–the reader. Nothing is more subjective than reading taste I suppose. Still this book has a faithful following.

Why is it consistently popular? There’s not as much sexual banter in it, but there’s a lot of emotion because it’s a second chance story for two people who married young, broke apart, and now, suddenly, find themselves together again. Who doesn’t love a second chance when real love is involved?

Is it the humor? I get a lot of reader emails about how this book made them laugh so much. Maybe it’s because the hero’s expensive European car gets as dinged up as a primer-painted old car in a chain store parking lot–through no conscious fault of the heroine!

A Peek At Still The One

Burke Winslow stands at the altar, ready to marry his business partner in a marriage of convenience. The minister solemnly asks: "If anyone here knows why this man and this woman shouldn't be joined in holy matrimony, let him speak now or forever hold his peace."

A rain-soaked, bedraggled Ally Fletcher limps down the aisle and shouts, "Stop the wedding!"

What follows is a funny, sexy romp that proves when there's love, passion never dies, it just smolders away until you toss some gasoline on it. Burke and Ally discover a rekindled passion that threatens to scorch them when they find themselves locked in a marriage--of inconvenience!

With a cagey grandfather pulling Burke's strings, and an equally cagey grandmother manipulating Ally, can these two battling lovers peel away the layers of the past and discover the truth about their love and passion? Will the truth free them or put them asunder?

Throw in a pretend boyfriend for Ally and a scorned business partner left at the altar, and you have a rollicking good time--Texas style! Sassy, sexy, and funny!

Amazing Outcome

I don't know why these books continue to attract readers--worldwide--but I’m glad they do, and I'm happy they bring smiles and lift spirits, according to the emails I get.

In fact, my southern romantic comedy humor captured the imagination of an Editor with Bragelonne, one of the largest French publishers who somehow obtained a copy of Jane (I’m Still Single) Jones. She contacted me as soon as she finished the book which she totally loved. (That book has been another runaway in sales.)

To my surprise and delight, she offered a contract for not just that book, but two others as well so I ended up with a 3 book contract for the first 3 books of The Lingerie Series. Now that’s a kick–having those 3 books published in print and ebooks in France.

But do you know what’s just as much a kick? Having readers email me and tell me how much they love these books, and how much they laughed while reading them.

Like the MasterCard commercial says: ‟That’s priceless.”

NOTE: All my books are at all digital booksellers, but they are available for $.99 only at Amazon as of this writing.

Just One Look (http://amzn.to/q61Z0d)

Still The One (http://amzn.to/qoIZdR)

7 comments:

  1. Joan, your books are so funny and a pleasure to read. I wish you continuous susccess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mona. I wish the same for you and all the authors on this blog.

    Best wishes,
    Joan Reeves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep 'em coming, Joan! You are doing something VERY right, and we love it.

      Delete
  3. WOHOO - love the covers. I posted on Twitter and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I apologize for responding SO late. Every day seems to bring more wedding details to take care of.

    P. L. Parker, thank you! I've had such positive response to the covers, and that's what an author wants.

    My daughter the artist -- also the one getting married next week -- does all my bookcovers. She's listed on the Indie Resource page of my blog SlingWords if anyone is looking for a good cover artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Morgan Mandel! Thank you! You're very kind. I'm always so pleased when someone appreciates my daughter's work.

    ReplyDelete