Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Smart Women Speak

Today, I was going to talk about my romantic comedy Just One Look, the book I've had featured on this blog for quite some time, because it has a lot of dialogue in it.

Of course, all my books do. Readers often tell me that they laugh out loud at some of the conversations between characters.

However, I noticed as I was posting this article that Amazon finally re-priced Just One Look from the sale price of $.99 to its regular $2.99 price. I'll be removing it from the website slideshow tomorrow.

It's been a long stormy day here in Texas, and I'm fighting getting this done before the power goes out which is why I don't do it tonight. Just One Look is available at all major ebook sellers, and is #13 on the Chick Lit Bestseller List at All Romance eBooks. It's just not $.99 any longer. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Characters Say The Funniest Things

I like writing dialogue, and I work hard to make it humorous. Sometimes it’s witty; sometimes snarky; and sometimes downright funny when my characters speak. A lot of the dialogue in my books is stuff I’d love to say, but never do–usually because I think of it after the fact rather than in the midst of conversation. I guess that’s why I’m a writer and not a world-renowned raconteur.

I suppose it’s understandable that I like to collect quotations that are amusing. Every Sunday I write a blog post for my popular blog SlingWords under the Written Wisdom label. Last year, I compiled the best of Written Wisdom (Best of SlingWords) and published the volume as an ebook, and–tada!–it is only $.99!

Quotation-Inspired Essays

I always use a quotation as my inspiration for these little weekly essays. More often than not, the quotation I use was uttered by some smart--or smartass--woman. I thought I’d share some of my favorite quotations with you today.

(I used some of these to preface each chapter in my recent romantic comedy Old Enough To Know Better which, I'm afraid, is also not $.99 any longer.)

Perhaps you’ll find some of these witticisms inspire you or motivate you to succeed. Or maybe they’ll just put a smile on your face. Here are a baker’s dozen that are some of my favorite quotations.

Smart Women Speak Smartly

“I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb ... and I also know that I'm not blonde.” Dolly Parton

“You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy.” Erica Jong

“I think I alternate between optimism and anxiety. I realize that should either of these get out of hand I would probably need a clever doctor.” Elizabeth Jolley

“Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself.” Katherine Mansfield

“A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.” Jane Austen

“If high heels were so wonderful, men would be wearing them.” Sue Grafton

“Sex is an emotion in motion.” Mae West

“When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country.” Elayne Boosler

“Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.” Maryon Pearson

“The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” Lucille Ball

“I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house.” Zsa Zsa Gabor

“Love is like the measles. The older you get, the worse the attack.” Mary Roberts Rinehart in
The Man in Lower Ten (1909)

Last, but not least, a wooden sign hanging on a hook by my desk reads: “Put your big girl panties on and deal with it!”

That’s right, just face your challenges head on and deal with them rather than procrastinate, run, or hide.

Wishing you a very good day filled with lots of laughter!

4 comments:

  1. Joan, I love all your quotes, but this one is my favorite:I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house.” Zsa Zsa Gabor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the quotes! I actually understand them!

    ReplyDelete