Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, April 16, 2012

Change is Good

As many authors know, it's hard to start a new book after virtually living the lives of other people for so long. It was doubly hard for me to decide what to write after my debut mystery, the dark and intense Two Wrongs, was published. In that book, although I enjoyed adding locales familiar to me in the Chicago area, I immensely suffered the angst of my characters.

I had to wrench my way out of their minds somehow. The only way I could do this was to write something completely different. That's how Girl of My Dreams, my humorous reality show romance, was born. It was fun to invent a plain Jane temp with hidden beauty and find a way to thrust her into the spotlight to make her shine, much like a modern day Cinderella. No evil stepmother for her, but the hero's mother's character left much to be desired. No evil stepsister, but I did include an evil contestant.

After original publication, I requested and received the rights back to both of these books, so I could offer them at a more reasonable price. They're both 99 cents on Kindle and all Smashwords venues.

The points of view switch back and forth between the heroine and the hero in Girl of My Dreams. Here's an excerpt from his point of view in which he shows what he thinks of his mother's character and how it's formed his opinions on love and marriage.

“If you don’t mind my asking, how did you get started in show business?” Jillian asked, disrupting his disgruntled thoughts.
He smiled wryly. “It’s no secret. I was a curious kid. With my mom being Barbara Branton, I hung around the sets a lot. Both the big and small screens fascinated me.”
“You share your mother’s love of the industry, but you don’t resemble her, except maybe for the eyes.”
Blake frowned. “I take after my father in looks. I hope that’s all.”
“What do you mean?”
“If you must know, my issues go way back. For as long as I can remember, Darryl Caldwell has been referred to in the industry and by the public as Mr. Branton. He has no life. He won’t take a step without Barbara’s approval.”            
Though in her mid-fifties, Barbara Branton was still a looker. She packed in millions at the box office and drew multi-million dollar contracts. In her down time, she flitted from man to man. Darryl, fool that he was, meekly waited in the wings, ready to assuage his wife’s ego when she so much as beckoned in his direction.
“Maybe it works for him.”
“That’s Darryl for you, but it’ll never work for me. That whole marriage crap is for the birds. No woman’s worth putting a noose around my neck and turning me into a fool when my back’s turned.”
Jillian’s eyes almost bugged out. He realized he’d come on strong, but couldn’t help it. Marriage and all it entailed made him see red. He’d never risk losing his identity. His parent’s so-called marriage was a sham and an embarrassment.

Read the book to find out whether or not Blake changes his mind about marriage.

Kindle Link:
http://amzn.com/B0065R11QO





Morgan Mandel writes fast paced, poignant thrillers, romances and mysteries. For Excerpts and Buy Links to All Four of Her Books in all Electronic Media, and some in print, check out:
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com/




13 comments:

  1. Thanks, P.L.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, Even though I hate reality shows, I loved this fun book. You're a terrific writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline.
      You've made my day!

      Morgan Mandel
      http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Morgan, love the idea of switching up writing (dark to light) to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some say it's bad for branding to do things like that, but I have to write what I feel like or it doesn't come out right.

      Morgan Mandel
      http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Hi Morgan, it's next on my TRL. I just finished Seeing Red by Maggie Toussaint. I love modern Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, I love modern Cinderella. I always took the original out of the library when I could barely read!

      Morgan Mandel
      http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful book! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the others. This sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you follow your muse to write what you want. All the books of yours I've read have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete