Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, April 23, 2012

How much Easter candy is too much to buy?

I told you about my Easter egg/Christmas tree in my last blog. A couple of you admitted you stretch out the time you enjoy holiday decorations like I do. I also stretch out the time I shop for the decorations and candy after a holiday has passed.  I LOVE a bargain. Today I snagged candy and small bags at 75% off. I am too cheap to buy most candy at the regular price. It just tastes better if I get it on sale.

Ever had a chocolate craving or felt a strong need for candy? My sweet tooth doesn't care if the chocolate looks like Santa, a heart, or an Easter egg. The cool thing is that I can freeze most of the chocolate, peanut butter, or caramel candy. It tastes great thawed or still frozen. Someone mentioned watching peeps explode in the microwave. Ever tried that? 

Bargain lovers are enjoying our 99 cent books, as well as the ones we offer free. Readers love bargains! For one week only all  my books are still 99 cents.

I'm saving a couple of dollars for if or when I find the candy and goodies at 85 % off.

Are there books you would get if they were free instead of cheap?  I must admit I have grabbed some free that I wouldn't have bought.

 Blurb
On Edna Mae's 40th birthday she buried her controlling father and lost her virginity in a one-night-stand with a stranger she never expected to see again.  Now her life is about to change in more ways that she ever thought possible.

 Excerpt.
Edna Mae decided to have her hair cut after years of letting it grow because she didn't get out of the house much. Raylene has taken her to see her own hair dresser.

-->
I made myself open my door and slide from the safety of the car.
Inside the shop, fragrances assaulted my nose as the noises of female voices and blow-dryers overwhelmed me. The place was abuzz with women having fun. A tiny, red-haired pixie rushed to welcome Raylene and me.
“Hey, Ray, is this your friend?” She pulled me toward a large window and studied my hair. “So healthy, like baby hair. Great texture.”
The pixie grabbed my hand and led me to a pink barber chair. “Ray said you want to lose maybe four inches.” She held that length of hair out to get approval.
“Yes,” I gulped. I hadn’t thought in terms of inches and four sounded like a lot. “What about highlights? Could we do that today?”
“Sure thing,” Sal said.
Raylene grinned and offered to get Cokes from the drink machine in the back of the large room. “The real thing, for Edna.” She laughed at her own joke.
While the “experts” studied hair samples, I sipped my Coke and glanced around at other women in the shop. All the ladies seemed to be having a good time.
Sallee flipped a pink plastic cape over my shoulders. She then cut a swag of hair. On the floor the cut hair piled. Sallee spread some smelly goop on strips of my hair. Then she left me to talk to Raylene while the color worked.
Finally, after a shampoo I watched Sal blow the mass dry. The image in the mirror made her smile. Mighty fine hair!
“Edna Mae?” I turned toward the voice. “Is that you?”
Suzanne Barklay stared at me, then grinned.
I hadn’t seen Suzy since high school.
“Edna Mae Withers!” Suzy clapped her hands, then touched her cheeks in excitement. “Omigod, it is you.”
I nodded, then finally found my voice. “Suzy, you look great! Where have you been?” I tried to escape the chair but the footrest got in the way.
Suzanne didn’t wait, she leaned over the chair to grab me in an enthusiastic hug, cape and all. “I missed you, Em! I missed my best friend.” Sue’s tears dampened my face and mingled with my own tears.
“I thought you were mad at me, your parents always said you wouldn’t come to the phone when I called. The letters I mailed you came back marked Return to Sender.”
“No way! I cried when the letters I mailed you came back to me unopened.” I sniffed and pulled away to study my friend’s face, as if the truth would be etched there. My parents had denied me even one friendship. Why?
When something was pressed into my hand, I turned toward Raylene who was giving me tissues and holding out a tissue box for Suzy.
Suzy grabbed a handful and nodded thanks to Raylene. “I’d have been at their funerals, but I thought you wouldn’t want to see me. Oh, girl, I really missed you!”
Sallee touched my shoulder. “You can get up, I’m done with you for now.”
Suzanne ooed and aaahhed. “You look wonderful. You haven’t changed a bit.”
“Neither have you.” Suzy looked rounder and tanned. Her hair, shorter and darker than I remembered it being, was neatly styled. My old friend looked happy.
Raylene put the magazine on a table. “Why don’t you come with Edna Mae and me and have supper and a drink or two? Edna Mae needs a night out with us girls.”
I untangled myself from the chair and stood with my hands clasped. “Yes, come out with us so we can catch up.”  A flush warmed my cheeks. I should’ve introduced the women. “Suzanne, meet Raylene.” Should I mention Raylene was my lawyer’s secretary? No, that might make it seem as though I had no friends. “Raylene, Suzy is my oldest best friend.”


If you haven't read it and would like a download, let me know and I'll send you a coupon. 

While The Gift isn't free, you might enjoy Edna Mae's story of growth and discovery at 40. 
Barnes & Noble      http://bit.ly/tFy77u
Amazon  http://amzn.to/Iibzuz
 http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/101492
http://www.MaryMarvella.com
www.pinkfuzzyslipperwriters.blogspot.comwww.pinkfuzzyslipperwriters.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/mmbarfield
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Marvella-Author


14 comments:

  1. Love the excerpt and now have to read the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GRIN! It is woman's fiction and I enjoyed letting Edna Mae get a life and letting me feel what she felt. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I don't buy candy, but I if some is around the house, I'll eventually break down and eat it! However, I do have a few cookies after dinner each night.

    Yes, free is good. I do have so many books on kindle I will never have time to read!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see cookies, but one year I got enough Christmas cookies to last 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working my way through free and 99cents ebooks. I am writing reviews for Still The one, Seeing Red and Sleeping with Paris. And I started reading Forever Young. And I'm sitting too long and eating too much chocolate. Result... I don't look at a mirror anymore. Please don't talk about candy and chocolate. I'm loaded with guilt feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easter candy? Oh, save me from myself. Reese's Peanut Butter cups are as addictive as romance novels. If only someone could devise a way to eat chocolate and burn calories by reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning! Checking in again to check out the verification box I installed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Freeze the chocolate for later, Mona.

    I haven't had time to read much. Tutoring and coaching another writer and CPs are keeping me frazzled. I am loading stories on my laptop and my reader, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't see anything new, Joan. Maybe it knows me already.

    Hide the Reeses and take out one at a time. Stash the rest or freeze them.

    Walk in place while you read. I am working on that. Wiggle while you read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You won't see anything new unless you log out and then go to the blog as a unique visitor.

    Btw, frozen Reeses are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi--Im checking to see if I see anything different. Celia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing to type in--just publish and it worked the same way.

    ReplyDelete