Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, April 30, 2012

In Deep Shitake by Patricia Mason


What do you do when you're stuck in a car window and your posterior is embarrassingly exposed to the cold, winter wind? You use it for inspiration, of course?  Well, that is what you do AFTER you extract yourself, all the while praying your neighbors don't have a video camera, or if they do it's broken, or....Anyway, you get the idea.

This is what happened to me.  A few years ago, I was traveling a long distance by car, with my two dogs, and was trapped in a sudden white out. My car spun 360 degrees on the highway and came to rest off the road in a snow bank. I was towed out. But by the time I arrived home a few hours later, the doors of the car were frozen and I couldn't get them open to get out. I was able to get my window down to about the half way point and started to climb out. Since I was dressed for comfort in a skirt with slouchy socks and clogs, by the time I got partially out the window, the socks and shoes had come off and my skirt was about up to my waist.

I used this incident, in a fictionalized way, in my new romantic suspense, IN DEEP SHITAKE. My heroine is trying to break into the car instead of out when she becomes stuck in an humiliating position.

Take one devastatingly handsome movie star.
Add in one outrageously sexy female private eye with a penchant for food-word obscenities.
Mix in a dose of mistaken identity and a handful of Russian mobsters.
And they're all In Deep Shitake.


12 comments:

  1. Patricia, that sounds hilarious. I can't wait to read the book. The title even is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny now, but you weren't laughing then, I bet!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right! Thanks for stopping by. Patricia Mason

      Delete
  3. I know it was terrible at the time, but you have a gift for telling the story so it's funny. Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I had to get something out of the humiliation. I still keep an eye on youtube just in case a clip of the incident shows up. Patricia Mason

      Delete
  4. I love how authors use things that happen to them to enliven their stories. Anything and everything can become a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Something good came out of my humiliation. Thanks for the comment. Patricia Mason.

      Delete
  5. What a scenerio! Awesome inspiration, Sweetie. I find that comedy and romance blend together well. You must have had a blast writing the story. Thanks for sharing. I'm adding it into my TBR pile. hehe

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story! Mama always said I shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I hope you embellished it for fun!

    ReplyDelete