Celebrate This Blog!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Beautiful Settings


One of my great pleasures in writing a new story is researching the setting. If I'm really lucky I visit the place I plan to set my book. In pursuit of research, I've visited Ireland twice for my paranormal series, the Italian Amalfi coast, which features in a contemporary romance I have coming out with Carina in September, the Island of Jersey in the English Channel for Unbreak My Heart and most recently Greece, the setting for my next book.

My most recent release is set partly on the Italian Riviera in Riomaggiore (pictured above), one of five small towns that make up the Cinque Terre or five lands. These are beautiful multicolored towns that are stacked precariously up the cliffs in small bays on the rocky coast.

I would have loved to physically visit the area but didn't get the chance. Instead I researched Riomaggiore on the Internet. What a treasure trove of information there is available to writers these days. I even found a video shot by a tourist who'd walked around the town, giving a virtual tour.

In my latest book, my Italian hero grew up in Riomaggiore and his family still lives there. My contemporary romance Oceans Between Us is available on Amazon for 99cents.

Oceans Between Us


He's a wealthy Italian celebrity used to dating beautiful women. She's a guesthouse cook without a penny to her name. When tragedy brings them together for a few weeks, an unlikely romance blossoms. But he has commitments that take him back to his jet-setting life, while her future lies in a remote English village. Is it possible for two people from such different walks of life to find a way to be together?

8 comments:

  1. Helen, I'm so glad this romance is up on Amazon now. The book cover is gorgeous. I hope every reader will buy it and enjoy it as much as I did.

    As for the Italian Riviera, I agree with you. It's simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riomaggiore looks and sounds amazing. Your descriptions of the Court hotels in Unbreak My Heart put me there. I'm expecting the same in Oceans Between Us and can't wait to visit Riomaggiore. Off to download.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so beautiful. Reminds me a little of the Greek Islands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photograph. You have such a way with description in your books. Congratulations on your latest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the lovely comments. I definitely have Riomaggiore on my wish list for vacations. It sounds like a wonderful place. And there is a special lovers lane along the coast that is truly romantic. I nearly squealed with pleasure when I found out about it. Wonderful stuff for a romance novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book cover is just gorgeous, Helen, and so is the picture. I love the topic of settings. So many places and ideas to write about! Best of luck with your books!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Cheryl. I'm really happy with my book cover. It's a joint effort, me, my daughter and my son. Luckily they are both good with Photoshop and I'm learning from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is a sweet story with appealing characters. Maria, the English girl who never left her village, and can't say NO when asked to help others, baby-sit, cook, paint,... and Dino Rossellini, the dashing singer who mesmerizes crowds with his voice and his charm. How can Maria not fall in love with the man every woman wants? And yet, how can she keep him, knowing his commitments, career, and glamorous life demand he leaves her? Would Dino dare to give up his triumphal success for true love?
    What a fantastic conflict between two protagonists so deeply attracted, yet tortured by their attraction. Helen Scott-Taylor weaves a lovely tale with her smooth style, emotional dialogues, and subtle sensual tension.

    ReplyDelete