Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How Does a Lazy Person Effectively Promote?
By Celia Yeary
This spring, I've read no less than a dozen articles about promoting yourself and your book. Most of the articles have been very good, listing concise ways to accomplish the one important goal when your book has a release date. These articles appeal to me just as how-to articles always have. I'm a self-learner. 

I believe I have all the steps memorized. Yet, I find myself turning into a lackadaisical author who loves to write, sign contracts, edit (yes, I like the editing process—if I have a nice editor who doesn't scold me), see a book cover for the first time, but then….the difficult part stares me in the face.

How do I promote this book? As of this month, I have fourteen releases scattered among seven publishers. Some have done fairly well; others seem to sit there. I admit, like most of us, that I have my favorites, those I wish more and more readers would find.

Yet, I wonder if sales would do just as well if I did less solid promoting. Sometimes it seems that way, for often there seem to be no rhyme nor reason to the process.

I'll do my best, though. It's just that at times I really don't feel like working--I'd rather read. And so I do.

Why not?
~*~*~
Mini-Excerpt from Charlotte and the Tenderfoot-A 99CENT Dime Novel

"Wha…what in the world? Oh, Lord have mercy," she murmured, as she brought the buggy to a stop.
A man lay on the side of the road, his legs in the shallow ditch, his head just on the edge face down in the dirt and gravel, with his long arms extended forward. A chestnut gelding grazed calmly nearby. The contents of the saddlebags were strewn hither and yon.


***And that's how Miss Charlotte Marie Dewhurst from Trinity Hill, Texas met William Montgomery from Boston.***

AMAZON LINK:
http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-and-the-Tenderfoot-ebook/dp/B007DIWWGM/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330392989&sr=1-14   
*************
Celia Yeary-Romance...and a little bit 'o Texas
My Website
My Blog
Sweethearts of the West-Blog
My Facebook Page

4 comments:

  1. Celia, that post sounds as if I wrote it. I love writing - that's why I write. The promotion eats time I could be writing. But I want my books to sell. I've yet to determine how effective each type promotion really is, but I continue. Good posts that explains our dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw a great bumper sticker the other day that quoted the famous vow from Davy Crockett: "You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas."

    There's just something about Texas and Texans that seem to be perpetually popular with readers worldwide.

    Hope those readers find your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline--it is a dilemma, for sure. So, I just sit down and read. I always feel better aftewards, and ready to work a little more. However, I don't like that word "work." Writing is fun, and all of this should be...it's shouldn't be "work."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan--oh, thank you!I guess Davy Crockett said that, but on the other hand, Gen. Sherma, during the Civil War, had to come to Texas. As he and his men marched across Texas, he declared, "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell." It was that hot.

    ReplyDelete