Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Killer Career

For almost 39 years I worked as an administrative assistant (formerly called a secretary) at a lawfirm in Downtown Chicago. I'd get up everyday, walk to the train, then open up my laptop computer during the ride, so I wouldn't waste valuable writing time. Before I knew it, I'd reached the station, and had to trudge to the office.

At first I kind of liked what I was doing. Then, before I knew it, the years had gone by. I came to realize I was at a dead-end job. I had no hope of advancement at such a small lawfirm, unless I wanted to become a lawyer, which seemed awfully dull. Not only that, after so many years, it had all become utterly boring. Still, I'd stuck it out for so long, wasn't a kid anymore, and had no intention of leaving until I could retire and get my insurance paid through Medicare.

I didn't realize it at the time, but a lot of my frustration at being stuck in a dead-end job manifested itself in my romantic suspense, Killer Career.

In that book, the heroine is an attorney, not an administrative assistant. Unlike me, she takes initiative and gives her partner notice she's leaving the firm to follow her ambition to become a writer. Many obstacles stand in her way, one being the prospect of hurting her partner's feelings. He doesn't take kindly to her being mentored by a handsome bestselling mystery author. Also, some unexplained deaths have occurred, similar to the ones in his books, leading one to wonder if the bestselling author writes fact or fiction.

By the way, I lost my job about 1 1/2 years ago. I still have to pay for my insurance, but it's worth it. Losing my day job is the best thing that ever happened to me, since now I can devote more time to what I really want to do, which is writing.

You'll have to read Killer Career to learn whether the job change was ultimately a good or bad thing for my heroine.

Killer Career on Kindle: http://amzn.com/B002PDOPPG

Nook link:


For Excerpts and more buy links for Killer Career, as well as my other three books, come on over to http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com/ 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting post! By the way, I am a legal assistant in a downtown law firm - hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see if you can outlast my record, P.L.!

      Morgan Mandel
      http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. 39 years - holy cow, gal! Wow, I know more about that story and, wow... I hope karma pays somebody a visit over there. You should try to get the story optioned for film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, I just finished reading Forever Young and enjoyed it a lot. Fantastic suspense. What a great plot. Where is the next in the series? I want to know what become of the villains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought the title for Killer Career, is what I call a "killer title." You know, don't you, that a title with Power Words sells best? You have a good thing going here...I'll FB and Twitter it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Celia, Morgan. (I usually do agree with her.) I love the title. I have to say you don't look old enough to have worked 39 years anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secretaries/Administrative Assistants are workers behind the scenes who don't get much credit, but there are tons of others out there, such as waitresses, bus drivers, cooks, and more.

    It's the big shots who get the fame, not the real workers.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dani,
    I almost wrote that other story when I got fired from my day job, but it got my blood pressure up too much!
    Now, as I mentioned, I consider it a blessing.

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mona,
    I'm glad you liked Forever Young: Blessing or Curse. You'll learn something about the villains in Book 2, but the main focus will be on certain other test subjects and what happens to them. Book 3 will tie up what happens to the heroine, her friend, as well as the villains.
    I'm halfway through writing Book 2, and hope to get it out this summer. Book 3 probably won't be ready at least until Christmas or New Year's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celia and Caroline, I'm glad you like the title. It's very difficult to pick one. Thanks for mentioning my book in strategic places.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Caroline,
    I always like it when someone says I don't look my age!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked as a secretary for a lawyer when I was in college. That experience made me decide that the last thing I would ever want to be was an attorney. *g*

    ReplyDelete