Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My time In Europe by Stephanie Burkhart




I knew when I was teenager I wanted to see the world as a young adult, so I joined the Army at 18. I signed up to become an MP (military police) and I did my basic and MP training at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. I loved Alabama. I was there from July-November 1986. In December, I was on the plane to Germany.

Silly me – on my first paycheck in Germany I received $8.00 for COLA. Heck, I thought they were giving me money to buy cokes. My sergeant told me COLA was Cost of Living Allowance. Go figure.

I loved my time in Germany and had a chance to visit several countries including the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Hungary, Austria, and Denmark. In fact, I was married in Nykobig, Denmark.


In 1997, I had a chance to visit Poland on a USO tour. I remember it was a a town near the German border and there was a pottery factory in the town which was famous. The pottery was all hand crafted, with white and blue motifs. I remember seeing above ground gas pipes and several horse and buggy carriages carrying coal. The trip only lasted a day, but I was grateful for the opportunity.


My travels while stationed overseas in the Army have inspired my international settings. I haven't been to Warsaw, Poland, so I took some fictional liberties with the setting. The National Stadium is a real place and currently under construction. It's going to be a 56,000 seat soccer stadium. In "A Polish Heart," Darrin Riverton is an American architect hired to look over the designs and construction of the stadium. Darrin looks upon his trip to Poland as an adventure. He's a "the glass is half-full kinda' guy," but it's Sofia, his interpreter, who really helps him find his heart.

"A Polish Heart" is a 99 cent story with a "sweet" contemporary international setting. Can Sofia's faith give Darrin his heart back?

Question for you: What country would you like to visit that you haven't been to?

ENJOY THIS EXCERPT:

Sofia pulled up to the front of the hotel and put the car in park. Darrin turned to face her. The fringes of her lashes cast shadows on her cheeks, softening her expression. He reached out and gently took her hand in his. Her touch sent warm tendrils of desire through him. With the other hand, he cupped her cheek. She closed her eyes, and drew in a sharp breath before opening them again.

Lightly, he rubbed his thumb against her jaw.

"May I kiss you?" His voice was low and husky.

"Yes."

He leaned forward, his lips feather light, touching hers with tantalizing persuasion until she opened up to him. He kept the kiss slow, thoughtful, enjoying the hints of berries and currants that lingered from the malbec. He pulled away gently.

"That was nice," she whispered.

"Call me tomorrow."

"I will."

Darrin opened the door and stepped out. He waved to Sofia and she waved back as she drove away.

Reviews:

5 Stars, Joy Cagil, Amazon Reader
Darrin, on the other hand, is much impressed with Poland and everything Sofia is part of. Luckily, the Almighty seems to have a hand in this simple, straight, and heart-warming tale of romance, to make the reader feel satisfied with the ending.

5 Stars, Vikki McCombie, Amazon Reader
This is an excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

5 Stars, Maggie Toussaint, Author of "Muddy Waters" and "Murder in the Buff: It was refreshing to read a sweet romance. I particularly enjoyed the international setting.

5 Stars, Carolyn Smith
Stephanie Burkhart writes a sweet romance filled with heartwarming details. Through her writing, the reader sees the important aspects of any life. At the end of this book, I was left with a happy smile and a sigh of contentment. I'll certainly be reading more of this author's books!

BOOK TRAILER:




BUY LINKS:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AS29AO

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/164429


Find me on the web at:

WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieBurkhartAuthor

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart

YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/botrina?feature=mhee

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Steph. Great article. If could, I'd love to visit Turkey and Libya. Both have some of the best Roman ruins anywhere--and of course, both are hard to travel to and through, but for different reasons. Libya has been a no-go for American tourists for a long time now. I just haven't made it to Turkey yet because of distance and an inability to take a month off at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keena, what exotic destinations! I wouldn't mind a visit for Turkey, either. You know who had some really interesting Roman ruins? Hungary. The country was littered with them. If my scanner was working, I'd scan a few pics. I only visited Croatia once, but I heard they had some interesting ruins as well.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I enjoyed your Polish Heart a lot. Lovely characters for a sweet romance. I missed my chance to visit Poland when I traveled to Belarus, but I was so busy I hardly visited Minsk itself. Now all I want is to stay home and enjoy my own place. Yet I still have a few long escapes in sight, and some really worry me because of the present events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, I would have loved to have visited Minsk. That had to be an adventure all in itself. Just be safe in planning your escapes. I have to wait until Joe is older before I can venture out of Califonria, though we were able to visit the Grand Canyon earlier this year.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  4. Another international traveler. Great story, Steph. Where would I like to go? Hmmm. Haven't been to Spain yet and would love to see the museums there. Also would like to visit the UK.

    I'd return to Italy and France in a heartbeat. Also to Japan and other countries I visited in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, those are all destinations I'd love to visit now. My top desination is the UK. I've never been.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  5. Hi Steph,
    I envy you, getting to see the world like you did! I'm sure so much of it is just beautiful and different--I used to want to travel (when I was younger) but now am more of a homebody. I would love to see Ireland and Scotland, though--some of my ancestors came from Ireland and Scotland. Very interesting post, and I loved your excerpt.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, Cheryl. I'm a bit of a homebody now but that's because the kids are small and it's hard to get out when they're young. I think it would be cool to visit the countries your ancestors came from. I'm Polish, French, and Ukrainian, so my next country to visit is the Ukraine.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  6. Steph, I can remember struggling to figure out my first paycheck. I thought I got all the money and was hugely disappointed to learn the state and federal governments took a cut. And Social Security - how could I forget that debit? Now I'm glad I paid SS all those years. I've got another dozen or so to go and then I'll finally be getting money back from the system, if its solvent.

    Oh heck, I'm off on the wrong track. I loved your book A Polish Heart and I'm honored you put a snip of my review here on the blog. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, Maggie. Heck, even now my paycheck is a pain in the neck to figure out. They take out for "imputed" income like $20.00 a check. For the life of me, I can't remember what "imputed" means. I need ot ask again. Sigh....

      I'm so glad you enjoyed the story.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading about your interesting life. I started teaching on Monday after I graduated on Friday. I've been to Canada and UK and that's it. I've lived most of my life in Georgia.

    Love the picture of you in uniform!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      You must find teaching rewarding. It was something I considered when I was younger. Canada is another place I'd like to go, to. I've never been. I know my grandfather's father lived in Montreal at the turn of the 1900's and migrated down to Manchester in the early 1900s.

      I've been to Atlanta to see the Braves play when I was stationed in Alabama. It's so green and gorgeous out that way.

      That was my dress blue uniform. I really liked how it looked so I had to take a picture before I left the military.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  8. Loved this book, Stephanie. You pulled me right into the story and I identified with the h/h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, thank you so much for reading. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. I really do like writing the international settings.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete