Celebrate This Blog!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Postcards by Stephanie Burkhart


When I joined the Army in 1986, I discovered I loved sending postcards – especially being stationed in Europe. I loved the picture on the front: Bonjour from Paris, Guten Tag from Berlin, Amsterdam, Keukenhof, Copenhagen, Budapest, Salzburg, sigh… With one picture you can capture the ambience of your destination and that's what I loved sharing with my friends and family back home.

I also liked the fact you could write a little ditty like: "thinking of you," "climbed the Eiffel Tower today," "smelled the tulips at the Keukenhof." Even today I still send out postcards to family and friends. Postcards are a great way to let others know you're thinking of them and missing them.

In my story, "Christmas in Bayeux," Aiden and Noel have stayed in contact over the years through postcards. Aiden's not a big writer, but he enjoyed sending Noel postcards. Noel treasures them, hanging them on her refrigerator. Postcards may be little and convenient, but you can tell from the way Aiden and Noel treat theirs, they mean a lot.

Question for you: Do you have a favorite postcard? What was the last one you received?

Enjoy this excerpt from my 99 cent story: Christmas in Bayeux:

REVIEWS FOR CHRISTMAS IN BAYEUX:

5 Stars, Karen Michelle Nutt, Author
"Christmas in Bayeux is a tender romance sure to warm your hearts for anytime of the year. I highly recommend it."

5 Stars, Diane Craver, Author
"Christmas in Bayeux" is the perfect short romance to enjoy during the holiday season or any time during the year, and I highly recommend it."

5 Stars, Markee Anderson, Author
"This was just a wonderful and heart warming read."

5 Stars, Celia Yeary, Author
"You will enjoy this beautiful story, rich in history and appreciation of the past, while living and falling in love in the present. I highly recommend "Christmas in Bayeux."

BOOK TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-muZ0dhOvSE

ENJOY THIS EXCERPT:

Noel was surprised to hear Aiden Seward's voice over the phone. She had been an exchange student with his family years ago, and even back then, she had a crush on him, but she was young and he, while the same age, found her no more attractive than his sister, or so she thought. Now he was a man, tall and well built. His dark ebony hair fell in neat waves and curved against the nape of his neck. His sweet hazel eyes harbored such sadness, it almost broke her heart. She wanted to hold him, touch him, drive away those demons that haunted him, but she knew now was not the time. He had to be the one to reach out to her. He had not been so daring years ago. What could she expect from him now?

Noel also knew that men did not care to write letters, so when she left, she extracted a promise from him to exchange postcards. Surprisingly, he honored it. In fact, his last postcard hung on a corkboard in her kitchen next to the refrigerator.

They got into his rented car and Aiden drove off. "Which way?"

"Straight. St. Theresé isn't far. I took the bus in."

Thankfully, it had stopped snowing. Aiden and his family lived in Boston, Massachusetts. She was born in Bayeux. She was French to her bones, but when she stayed with Aiden's family, she might have considered living in the States if he had expressed interest.

"Turn here," she said. "Do you see the manor on the cliff?"

"Yes."
"That's Mont St. Theresé."

His lips parted just a little and his eyes filled with awe. "It's beautiful."



BUY LINKS:

AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-in-Bayeux-ebook/dp/B005BTLSI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326918404&sr=8-1

BARNES & NOBLE: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/christmas-in-bayeux-stephanie-burkhart/1104401603?ean=2940011371806&itm=1&usri=christmas+in+bayeux

SMASHWORDS: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/72100

FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:
WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Burkhart-Author/149938795021166

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart



14 comments:

  1. I love postcards. The last one I received was a vintage one stuck in with the Christmas card from our daughter in 2011. Double pleasure because it's a postcard, and I love antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too like postcards and have sent them from every country I've visited. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, I love the sound of that postcard. Some of my favorites are from Europe during Christmas/winter. I should try to dig some of my old ones up and scan them.

    Thanks for popping in Joan.
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any regular postcards saved, nor do I use them. But a dear friend who once owned an antique shop, kept boxes of particular things when she sold it and it's contents.
    Saved items: antique books and postcards. So for every birthday for the few years I knew her, and for Christmas, she gave an appropriate antique postcard. I especially love the vintage drawings, and most especially the handwriting and message from the original sender/receiver over a hundred years ago. I've saved all those--they are treasures. Nice post--I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, I'm a sucker for an qntique book and postcard. It stirs the history buff in me. I know I would have those too.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  5. The last postcard sent to me came from ... you! I like the setup for the attraction in your excerpt. great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Glad you enjoyed the excerpt, Maggie. Sending Postcards is fun!
      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  6. I've tried to find a way of sending you a jPeg of my all-time favourite poscard but either I'm not smart enough or it isn't possible with the software I'm running... :(

    Picture beautiful country scene with a narrow country lane, a shepherd (with traditional dog & crook!) and the text:
    "Traffic jam in Ireland" Fondest memories!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, sounds like a great postcard. :) Thanks for sharing. If you get that jpg up and running, share!
      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  7. I often buy postcards at places I visit because I am not the greatest photographer. A professional will capture a scene better than I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, that's me too. I find the postcards usually have great shots.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  8. What a unique and wonderful story idea, Steph. Your story sounds fantastic.
    I get postcards often because I have a sister who loves to travel and she sends me postcards from everywhere she goes. I love them. The last ones were from last fall when she and my niece went to Seattle and Vancouver, Canada. My favorite is the one from the Hemmingway house in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, it's fun, isn't it? The Hemmingway house sounds cool. Thanks for sharing, Sweetie.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  9. Hi Steph, I am not a postcard person and rarely send or receive them. I figure they take so long to reach their destination that I am home before the card arrives.

    ReplyDelete