Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Stalking after Divorce or Separation

I had a kindly older woman tell me I picked heavy duty topics for the three stories of The Lake Willowbee Series. I didn't start out that way. I didn't even start out to write a series. The first book, Divorce, Interrupted was supposed to be a single short story. But I learned that series are doing well in self-publishing so I decided to make it a trio of short stories.

Divorce, Interrupted dealt with infidelity; of the wife. I didn't know that was going to be such a hot button topic when I wrote the story. I've had some amazing feedback from people who were totally unsure about the subject but fell in love with the characters anyway. Yeah!

Dare To Trust deals with being a former abused wife and learning to trust the new man in her life to not be the same as the old one. I dug up some interesting info in researching for that story.








Taken from Ask.com website:

Stalking Statistics:
During a 12-month period an estimated 14 in every 1,000 persons age 18 or older were victims of stalking.
  • About half (46%) of stalking victims experienced at least one unwanted contact per week, and 11% of victims said they had been stalked for 5 years or more.
  • The risk of stalking victimization was highest for individuals who were divorced or separated—34 per 1,000 individuals.
  • Women were at greater risk than men for stalking victimization; however, women and men were equally likely to experience harassment.
  • Male (37%) and female (41%) stalking victimizations were equally likely to be reported to the police.
  • Approximately 1 in 4 stalking victims reported some form of cyberstalking such as e-mail (83%) or instant messaging (35%).
  • 46% of stalking victims felt fear of not knowing what would happen next.
  • Nearly 3 in 4 stalking victims knew their offender in some capacity.

If your ex-spouse is stalking you, your first reaction maybe to “give it time.” Many men and women make the mistake of thinking that time will take care of the ex’s anger and need to control. Time may take care of the issue but, in the interim it is best to protect yourself. Knowing your states stalking laws and filing a restraining order is the smart thing to do if someone is stalking you.

***********************************************************************
Luckily Dare To Trust is fiction and a romance so it has a much happier ending than the real-life situations in the world.

The last book in the series, Defend My Love is just about ready to go live. In it a woman returns home to her husband and little girl after serving four years in prison for a crime she didn't commit. Like I said, heavy duty stories with women doing the best they can in the situations they find themselves.

Jill James, author of Tempting Adam
and The Lake Willowbee series.

8 comments:

  1. Jill, I'm so glad you addressed this very important topic. Not my current WIP, but the following one deals with an abused woman who escapes. Several women in my family have lived with abusive husbands, and my step-grandmother died from a beating (NOT my grandfather, but a later husband after my grandfather's death). Our church founded a women's shelter, and many people were surprised when it quickly filled. It's now on the third building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy duty topics, indeed. But these types of topics do make from great and often heart rending fiction. I've just downloaded your second book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great premise for a subject that needs to get out there.

    Lovely cover!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog with some good advice. Thanks, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good topic Jill. My own NO MORE LIES is also dealing with an abused woman. Although she builds a good life forherself and hides her inner trauma, it's still there to haunt her and dtermines her decisions and lies. I bought Dare To Trust and will read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I checked the blog today as this topic works in well with my WIP. It's a Romantic Suspense where the villain is a rapist. I can see by your numbers that many women suffer all kinds of abuse and there are diffferent types of victims. So darn sad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent and timely topic. We should allow ourselves to address deep topics. Glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems interesting.I'll try to read that one.

    ReplyDelete