Celebrate This Blog!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

How much will a woman forgive?

What can you NOT forgive?
Can you forgive lying, infidelity, mistrust when there is no reason? I can be won over if the offender apologies and tries to make up for a slight. In my newest book, Margo's Choice, my characters have issues that would be difficult to overcome.

Blurb
Margo loved Jay, even when he decided to join the Marines and leave her at home while he sought adventure and danger. Now he is on his way home for their oldest daughter's 21st birthday.  Margo hasn't gotten over him, but he has the power to hurt her if she lets him charm his way into her panties again. He knows the buttons to push and she knows she won't like herself if she fools herself into believing he cares for her this time.  She can recover, but their youngest daughter has more to lose. Jay doesn't believe the youngest daughter is his. His mistrust of her is bad enough, but if he lets the child know he doesn't love her, Margo will have to hurt him!

Excerpt  1 (I told you she was upset.)
Morning slapped me in the face. I opened one gritty eye. Huge mistake. Pounding racket sent jabs of pain through my skull. Light poured in through my bedroom windows. I tried to turn from the light, but even slight movement hurt. My stomach roiled. How the hell could I get to the bathroom and still keep my head on my shoulders?
“Go the hell away,” Carol croaked.
Carol? I turned to see my best friend in the whole world. As the word lesbian eased through my mind, I reached out to grab it and make sense. Even thinking made my head hurt. My face ached when a frown tried to slide over it. Aw, crap!


Excerpt 2
-->
I snatched the cordless handset from my bedside table and flopped onto my bed.  “Carol, you aren’t gonna believe this.” My words came out in a rush, but I couldn’t help myself. “That stinking Marine ex-husband of mine is here to stay.”
Carol laughed. “Sounds like you have a problem.”
“More than one. Electra came home drunk tonight. She met her Daddy for coffee to enlist his help so she could move in her scuzzy boyfriend.” The words spilled out. “I cooked supper and worried myself sick when she didn’t come home. She wants to be an adult, but she acts like an irresponsible kid. She’s screwing her boyfriend and acting like a slut at the clubs, according to Jay.”
“And he knows this how?” Carol asked.
“He followed her to the club where the jerk plays and then to the house where the band guys live. He said it was a dump. Electra came home late and drunk.” I switched the headset to my left ear. “For a man who left me on my own, he acts like he’s concerned that she’s screwing up. He really doesn’t like the boyfriend.”
“Hey, we all think he’s a loser.”

 Now, about the title. Could you forgive Jay? You might win a download of The Gift for your comment.

16 comments:

  1. Talk about starting out with a bang! With these excerpts Ms Marvella just tosses it right in your face. This is southern woman's fiction at its finest. I've read all of her books and this one promises to be just as gripping and heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Scarlet!
    I'll fix any errors later. MUST SLEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you have a fantastic conflict here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mona, I wondered if they could overcome that conflict. NOT TELLING!

      Delete
  4. You hit the ground running, Mary, just like I enjoy. I do want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I didn't give the first words but close. I enjoyed writing this one!

      Delete
  5. From my experience with my first husband, you can forgive and forgive, but each lie and infidelity chips away at the relationship until there's nothing left. So, I think the answer is that it depends on the number and sincerity of the cheating spouse. Fortunately, my hero now would never cheat and we've been happily married for a long, long time.

    Beautiful cover, Mary. I'd probably buy the book based only on the cover. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I Love that you found a good one this time around! Thanks, my daughter did the cover!

      Delete
  6. I can see where forgiveness is not always the best path to follow, yet it can be tempting.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan, I want some folks to be willing to forgive, while I know some folks wouldn't forgive, no matter what.
    I forgave being the least important part of my Ex husband's life until my parents both died and he still didn't want make any changes for me. That meant no counseling, even. That did it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgiveness is another of those simple acts that's often not easy. Guess we have to have it in novels though since we write romance. Love means ALWAYS knowing if you must say you're sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan, Sometimes reading about someone with the same problems we have helps us reconsider what we can do.

      Delete
  9. Mary--I love your short excerpts! Very good. I wrote an article once and got it published titled "The Perfect Excerpt." --which means short. I did research on our attention span and I did research on a good excerpt.
    A good one actually is a teeny 3-at play--a beginning, a middle, and an ending. And shouldn't take more than one minute to read--you have that down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Celia, I love to tease, so I keep excerpts short. I also know I have skimmed long excerpts when I was rushed or tired.

    ReplyDelete