Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Green Man


I've had lots of fun using Celtic mythology in my adult paranormal romances. The Magic Knot Fairies series is based on Celtic mythology along with other folk lore about fairies and mythological beings. With my latest release, I've returned to Celtic mythology, but this time, I've drawn on the ancient Celtic gods the pagans worshipped in Britain.

One of these gods is Cernunnos, who is often represented in the UK as the Green Man. He is still celebrated by some here in the spring, and is supposedly responsible for the awakening of nature after winter. When the early Christians set about converting inhabitants of Britain from paganism to the Christian faith, one of the ways they attracted people into the new churches was by adopting pagan gods. In many old churches and cathedrals in the UK, one can find carvings of the green man's face both on the outside and inside of the buildings.

In Exeter Cathedral in Devon, there are many well known depictions of the green man. Some are beautiful, but some are also frightening, with vines and branches spewing from the green man's mouth or body.

Cernunnos caught my imagination when I was researching my Young Adult story, Wildwood, and the mythology and ancient pagan beliefs surrounding the god are at the heart of the story.


Wildwood


A fifteen-year-old boy is sent to stay in a spooky English village with his grandfather for the summer vacation. He always knew he was different from other kids, he just didn't realize how different until he discovers his father was linked to an ancient pagan cult. If he doesn't get out of the village soon, he might never be able to leave.

Wildwood is available for only 99cents as a Kindle book on Amazon.

6 comments:

  1. Helen, your explanation of the Green Man is so interesting. I was wondering about it while reading your book. You know me, I'm not a paranormal reader, but I absolutely loved Todd's story. Actually I loved all the characters in this book. You made them so real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, didn't know you did YA. Will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new YA! Interesting post about Green Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never liked going into the woods. Very scary!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Helen. Can you say eerie? Can you can gotta read it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, this looks incredable. I love learning about new myths. My son is 10. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete