Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Controversy

I was talking with my husband about my books and I was saying how lucky I've been with reviews. (Knock on wood!) Even the lady who was upset that the wife was the cheater in Divorce, Interrupted still gave me 5 stars for my writing and the story.

When I set out to write Divorce, Interrupted I didn't think it was controversial at all. People cheat, people divorce, and people get back together. It happens. But, I've had lots of reviews of people talking about "a touchy subject", and "handled it well in spite of the topic", and "I didn't know the wife was the cheater."

Sometimes it is easier to write a couple with some backstory together to get them "in the sack" in the story. LOL Divorce, Interrupted seemed to write itself. I knew the anger they had to deal with, the issues that must be resolved for a happily-ever-after, and the love that was still there to make the whole story possible.

Personally, I'm the kind who would never forgive-and-forget and my husband has a family history to never cheat or allow himself to be cheated on. So why did I write this story for Todd and Lisa Miller? Because I've seen people move on after affairs and sometimes it works and we write fiction so I could let this be one time that the couple did get a redux on the happily-ever-after.

Divorce, Interrupted is still 99 cents at Amazon, BN.com, Smashwords, and All Romance eBooks.

Jill James, author of Divorce, Interrupted, Dare To Trust, and Defend My Love-coming soon
also Dangerous Shift - paranormal romantic suspense - at major online retailers and coming soon in print

11 comments:

  1. Cheating is a touchy subject. Nice post, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I had the story in my head and I found out my publisher wouldn't take it (divorced couple working to get back together) so I went Indie with it.

      Delete
  2. Cheating is a touchy subject, but a fact of life. I find it funny that readers are shocked the wife cheated. Women do cheat...just as much as men.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I did giggle a little at the remark about the wife being the cheater. It just seemed so cliche to have the husband be the cheater.

      Delete
  3. I've had your book on my Kindle meaning to read it for so long. I must find time because it sounds fascinating. I guess cheating is always a touchy subject in romance novels. I've seen comments on reader forums where they hate cheating, but other readers who are okay with it as long as the cheater makes amends. If a main character cheats in a romance novel it does usually seem to be the hero, but that makes your story all the more original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Hope you enjoy Divorce, Interrupted. It is one of my favoritest stories I've written.

      Delete
  4. Good idea for a story. Goes to show that woman make mistakes as well. Forgiveness can be a real issue no matter who makes the mistake.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an important story worth telling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, you know this is a story I loved since I posted a glowing review. I think you pulled off a difficult feat in making the reader understand less than heroic choices. Everyone makes mistakes, but sometimes those mistakes lead to wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, I read and enjoyed your book. I would share here 2 little stories about cheating. One that happened long ago to a neighbor. She cheated just once as she said, regretted it, and confessed it to her husband while promising it would never happen again. The husband was devastated and divorced, and later remarried. Her life collapsed. For years she was lonely and miserable. In the other story, the husband discovered it by chance. He was upset, but ready to forgive. But first he went to see the other guy's wife and spilled the beans telling her that if her husband came near his wife he'll ruin their lives. The other wife didn't know anything. She 'took care' of her husband, and the first couple resumed a good life, but he kept his eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story! We need to be reminded we are all human. I would like to believe I could forgive.

    ReplyDelete