Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting the Word Out About...You


What little promo specials do you do?

As an aspiring author, my goal is to let the world know about me. Ergo, the sign on the window of my Chevy van.


 
I love my sign. Mr. Man (my husband) even helped center and attach the sign to the window, carefully measuring every angle and smoothing the bubbles out. He didn’t think much about the sign after that—and then people began to take notice.… 

Because I write under the pen name P.L. Parker (my maiden name), I leave gender out of the picture. (I read somewhere that just using initials can aid in bringing the male population in as fans.) My husband has been confused with me on numerous occasions and he doesn't always view it as amusing. For example - he (nice guy that he is) took my van to the car wash. A very sweet young man approached him and asked if he was the romance author. My disgruntled husband growled "No. My wife is!" 
The young man grinned. "Oh really," he said. 
Mr. Man tried another car wash, same thing happened. Another time we were driving down the freeway and a truckload, literally a truckload, of cowboys drove up beside us. They were hanging out the windows on every side yelling, "Oh Yoohoo, Mr. Romance Man - yoohooo!!" His eyes straight ahead, my husband made for the nearest off ramp, growling all the while. I of course was laughing my head off. 

Then there was the time his truck broke down (he manages properties) and he had to borrow my van for the day. He indicated later it was hard to be professional when all his contacts were eyeing the van, then him, then the van - and grinning! 

I drive every day and seldom have any comments, but it seems as though every time he is out driving alone, the catcalls and comments fly. It is if he is cursed. Little by little, his love for the sign
diminished…and now has died. 

Next year, we plan to trade in the Romance Van. Mr. Man has indicated that when the time comes and we have a new vehicle, my sign will go by the wayside.NO SIGNS ALLOWED! What is he thinking? Give up my sign? How will anyone know who I am?



P.L. Parker is the author of two 99 cent e-books available on Amazon:

Riley's Journey and Fiona


 

17 comments:

  1. Funny story about your husband being mistaken for a romance author. I can see how using initials might help bring in male readers for other genres like fantasy and mystery, but I'm not sure most men will pick up a romance book, whoever has written it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patsy, you made me crack. I can well imagine your husband's expression because my DH would be the same. Once I had a sign on my Toyota bumper. It read I Love Romance. I bought it from my RWA Heartbeat chapter. My whole building knew my car, but when we sold the Toyota I didn't put any sign on the next car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sign! I think it's a lot easier to attract male readers in this ebook era. I know I get fan mail from men who read my books. When buying an ebook online, no one's standing next to you in the checkout line, judging you based on the books in your hand. Another great thing about ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! My husband is so funny - has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny! I told people (when I was still married) who called my wife "Mrs. Fischman" that I had kept my name at the huppah (altar). just to confuse the health insurance company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Patsy - I can see the sense in using your initials -but also the disadvantage from your hubby's P.O.V, I have a sign on our SUV too - but luckily for hubby 'Hywela' doesn't have a masculine ring - Just as well for himI didn't decide to use my first two initials and my surname as my penname, or I might have the same problem as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a riot! Couldn't stop laughing!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again everyone for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, Patsy. One of those magnetic signes would work well, too. Then it would save your dh embarassment when he used the car. He sounds like a good guy and like he has a good sense of humor about ribbing. Like my Hero, Mr. Man is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have thought of the magnetic ones - might have to revisit that when we get a new vehicle. Yes he is a keeper. Thanks Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the morning LOL, a great way to start the day. And great for you promoting yourself, a difficult task for me most days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog, Patsy! My husband has a thing about "no stickers, signs, etc." on the car. I did put one on many many years ago that said, "BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY"--he wasn't crazy about it, but it was already on the car. I love it that our men have to be so stoic about things--when we went back to visit Gary's family in WV, he took a LOT of teasing from his brothers.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the story! My Ex wouldn't have made the sign, and he certainly wouldn't drive the car with one. Thanks for a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.L.-what a darling story. I can just see him, all grumpy and grumbling when people think he is the romance author. Good idea for the sign, though.


    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone. Glad I could brighten your day and at the same time give a little promo help :) Be vewy vewy sneaky and put one on your car!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi PL-Great post-your hubby sounds very nice. Dina

    ReplyDelete