Celebrate This Blog!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Fruits of Summer

by: Stephanie Burkhart

I love fruit in the summertime. It's cool and refreshing on a hot day, and doesn't feel heavy in the stomach. Whether the heat is a dry one or a humid one, a juicy piece of fruit always snaps me back.

I opened my frig the other day and discovered I possessed a grocery store of fruit:

Blueberries
Watermelon
Cantaloupe (my son, Andrew, could eat the whole cantaloupe in one setting)
Cherries
Apples
Grapes
Raspberries
Bananas

Celery & Carrots. (Okay, these guys aren’t fruit, but the family gobbles them up like fruit)

In humid heat, I prefer a juicy watermelon. For me, the taste is refreshing.

My ultimate favorite is blueberries, especially in dry heat.) According to Wikipedia, blueberries help lower cholesterol. (and they have resveratol) Right now, I'm munching on grapes. I'm a red seedless grapes girl. Again, according to Wikipedia, grapes have resveratol which has been linked to inhibiting cancer and heart disease. See how a glass of wine could be good for you? hehe


I'd love to hear your thoughts. What's your favorite summer fruit and why.

My latest release is "Journey of the Heart," a sweet vintage romance that's set in the heart of California wine country in 1946.

JOURNEY OF THE HEART


Blurb: Can James help Rachel save her winery or will he drift out of her life the same way he drifted in?

4, 5 Star Reviews on Amazon
The story was compelling and not boring, which is often a stereotype of sweet romances. I would recommend this short sweetie of a story. Good job, author. - Angel E

Excerpt:
"Your case threatened to run away, so I bribed it." Her sweet expression was an arrow through his heart.

"Really? What did you bribe it with?" He wiped the sweat off his brow with a handkerchief, caused from a combination of the summer heat and lifting the heavy cases.

"A job."

He hooked his thumb toward his chest. "Are you offering me a job, Miss Santori?"

BUY LINK: http://amzn.com/B008G1JI6C

I'm is a 911 Dispatcher for LAPD. I grew up picking blueberries in New Hampshire. My last visit to Napa Valley, CA was in 2007 where I visited Sterling Vineyards, but my favorite Napa wine is Mondavai.

FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:

WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieBurkhartAuthor

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart

YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/botrina?feature=mhee

PINTEREST:
http://pinterest.com/sgburkhart/

19 comments:

  1. Steph, you made me hungry. I know there's a watermelon just waiting for me in our fridge. Can you hear it calling, "Come eat me" now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, yes, I hear it, too. Go - go. LOL!! Actually I just woke up and had a banana. Yum. Sadly, my frig needs to be restocked. I'm out of the good stuff. It's payday, but I'm on a 6 day working stretch. Sigh...

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy post, Steph. Give me fruits anytime. Banana with yogurt for breakfast. Peach for snack, mango for lunch. Frozen berries for dinner or snack. I can live on fruits without complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, I'd have to say that bananas are yogurt are my favorite breakfast - with a nip of coffee and slice of bacon!

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  4. Count me in as a fruit lover too! Especially watermelon and peaches in the summer time. I must say that Wine Country anywhere is a great setting for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, watermelon really hits the spot for me. Sigh... I'm a sucker for CA wine country. I'd love to explore the French wine regions.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  5. I love summer fruits, although we don't get much warm weather to enjoy them in. I'd go for cherries, raspberries and peaches or nectarines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, all of them sound yummy.
      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  6. My top 3 summer fruits are: Peaches, watermelon and cantlelope. I could eat this stuff every day of the week and never grow tired of it.
    In the fall, I love pears and apples any way you can think of to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, my gosh yes! I love apples - I need to work them into the diet a bit more. I haven't had a good pear in a while. I'm going to get a few next time I'm at the store. hehehe

      Steph

      Delete
  7. Blueberries and strawberries top my list. I can eat them year round. Cherries if they are pitted too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, yes, that's what I love about Costco. You can usually find most of these fruits all year around and they're very tasty.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  8. I like strawberries and bananas the best. I'll eat oranges and peaches if some kind soul provides them paled and ready.

    I basically like all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys love it when I take an apple and slice it up. They much rather eat the apple that way than take bites from it.

      Steph

      Delete
  9. Luv, luv, luv summer fruit - the only thing that saved me when I was expecting my Andrew...who can also eat like nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so smart eating with my Andrew and gained forty pounds. I gained 35 with Joe. I was alot smarter in my eating when it came to Joe. You just can't go wrong with fruit.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  10. I'm like you about blueberries. I love em. In the summer, I buy boxes full and freeze them for the winter cause I hate going without. Then a few years ago, much to my delight, I found out how good they are for you. Now I REALLY like them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi, I never tried to freeze them, but that's a good idea. I just may have to try it!

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love blueberries also, especially blueberry pie!
    That picture is enticing!
    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete