Celebrate This Blog!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Colors and Highlights

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Free today and tomorrow

NEIGHBORS and MORE http://tinyurl.com/96bjqcm

Did you notice how you are immediately attracted to a bright colored display? Or how you smile at a little girl prettily dressed in pink? Or how your significant other’s head swivel right and left when a flashy blonde or redhead pass by?

Like many I’m sensitive to colors. Since my daughter was six I let her free to choose her clothe as long as she coordinated her colors. She’d often asked, “Is this sweater matching my blue pants?” and then add, “But I can’t find blue socks to go with it.”
My predilection for colors leads me to buy books simply because their covers appeal to me—Big mistake, I may regret later! Anyway, I don’t just like colors I use them a lot in my work. My critique partners can tell you that my manuscript is often decorated with highlights.
 
Yellow=newly revised, to be carefully checked;
Green=repetitious words or idea, needs rewrite;
Pink=sensorial, smells, noise, touch, I make sure I have enough in each chapter to grind the reader in the setting;
Blue= emotion

 The multiple pink, blue, yellow, purple post-it stuck on my desk around my computer attest to my need of colors to remember things. Even when I read on my Kindle, I hold my little pointer and highlight the lines, words, or paragraphs I particularly like or dislike, in case I need to refer to them later—not that I ever go back to look at them! But I have developed a compulsive habit to highlight.

 Do you ever use color while working?

My romantic suspense, NEIGHBORS and MORE, is FREE at  


So please grab a copy, enjoy it, and reward the author with a review.

Reviews are the daily bread of authors. They need them for moral sustenance.

10 comments:

  1. Mona, yum, another book by a great writer. And I'm getting ready for a few days vacation next week, just in time to enjoy your new release. your use of color markers makes me think you've benefitted from Margie Lawson's great workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi caroline, I took Margie's workshops but I always loved to use colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using too many colors confuses me. I do like to use different colors for fonts to make a point when I edit. I love blue-reds from hot pink to maroons. (true reds, too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself drawn to books with bright red in the covers but with editing, I usually use yellow - force of habit from my workplace I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post, Mona. I sometimes use colored Post It's on a story board to make sure various narrative elements are well-represented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, I have trouble seeing the colored fonts. But the highlights help me to see at a glance what's dominant and what's missing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PL, a page that's too yellow screams EDIt for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan, I never learned to do a story board. Many authors told me it helps them brainstorm. Instead of a board, I do a spreadsheet with colors to brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me, too, Mona. I'm very sensitive to colors. Books covers must have appealing colors or I won't even pick it up. I think that's why the covers for ebooks are especially important--you can't pick up the book, but something must catch the eye of the reader. I regret that some authors-one I know--is omitting covers on their ebooks that have figures--only printing for the title and author. Even a children's book she did this.
    Horror stories and high suspense doesn't appeal to me,not just because of all the blood and gore, but because of the covers. I don't care for red, and a book in black and blood dripping off a knife or something similar, will just make me shudder.There are certain colors I don't like, don't wear, don't use in any way.
    Notepads I use those small colored one--I always pick out the pink and blue and lavendar ones.
    Pens--I love blue ink, purple ink, and black of course.
    post its--I always choose the hot pink.
    Good topic. I will Tweet, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mona, I never used colors before but it's a great idea. I just might have to work them into my editing routines.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete