Celebrate This Blog!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Short and Sweet by Morgan Mandel

Everyone's rushed these days. It's the culture of our time, and we're right smack in the  middle of it. Years ago, I started reading a Stephen King book called It. I actually made it to into the 900s. I was almost through, but then decided I couldn't bear reading another word. Fortunately, the movie came out, and that was much easier to assimilate, although I must admit, very scary.

I don't have anything like that kind of patience these days. I enjoy reading full length, but not lengthy novels, of less than 400 printed pages, and write that length as well.

I'm also getting into the swing of reading and writing novellas, which run one-third to one-half the length of full length novels. They're short and sweet, with just enough words to tell a story and bring it to conclusion.

Novellas seem to be catching on these days, so I designed Her Handyman with that preference in mind. It was a challenge, yet fun to tell the story of  two very different individuals: a down-to-earth handyman and a rich, quirky artist. For special effects, I added a crazy canine. I enjoyed the experience so much, I'll be doing another in the short and sweet mode!

If you also prefer novellas, you can find Her Handyman for 99 cents on kindle at http://amzn.com/B0097EVXBK

Before doing a new novella, I've got a three-quarters ready sequel to Forever Young: Blessing or Curse to finish. This one's called Blessing or Curse, and contains the same villains, plus separate stories mapping the progress of people from various backgrounds who take the spin-back-the-clock pill introduced in the first of the trilogy.

Right now, I'm also offering Forever Young: Blessing or Curse for 99 cents at
http://amzn.com/B006MO28CQ

This book is also available not only on kindle, but also other formats, including print. For excerpts and other buy links, see my stationery blog at
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com


11 comments:

  1. I've seriously considered my next to be some shorts. Novel length can be mentally trying and I think I need some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going a bit shorter is kind of liberating.

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, congratulations on the good reviews for your new release. I'm eager to read it as soon as I get caught up from being away a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Caroline. I know how it is about getting caught up before and after vacation. It never happens!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like novella's as well. I guess the popularity of the shorter length is because everyone is so busy these days, and people like their entertainment in bite sized chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Morgan, I too have lost the patience to read long books. A 65,000 is my maximum because I like reading my books in one sitting, but long stories need more time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Morgan! Glad you blogged about Her Handyman. I tweeted about it over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like I'm not alone in preferring the new shorter length. We're all busy as can be!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete