Celebrate This Blog!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Shifters, Skinwalkers, weres - by Vijaya Schartz

Since it's almost Halloween, let me speak of shifters, but not your run of the mill variety. Since so many authors write about shifters, I wanted mine to be original and fresh. And, like in all my books, I wanted my hero to be believable as a Native American, as a hero, and as a shifter.

In order to write COYOTE GORGEOUS, I had to study Native American legends and lore. I wanted my shifter hero, Kaletaka, as well as his nemesis, to keep in line with the traditions. I also studied rituals and spoke to many local Native American friends and writers, to make sure my story fit the beliefs of the tribes. I swear I must have been a Native American in my previous incarnation.

Mix with all that research a romance, some suspense, and a mystery, and this novella took flight. I enjoyed writing it and I hope readers will like it, too. The novella sells for 99 cents and is available in all eBook formats everywhere

The best compliment I received by a Native American reviewer was: "...a fantastic story, with the integration of Navajo legend into the modern setting... this volume is a real page turner... I am a Choctaw Indian myself... I was truly impressed with the seamless integration of the Navajo legends of skinwalkers. This is a fun read that I highly recommend to anyone with a passion for shapeshifters, Indians and mystery." - Four stars - Cassie - Bitten By Books

COYOTE GORGEOUS
99 cents novella:

Arizona Game Ranger Madison Huntley, investigating a wild animal attack on a ranch in Cave Creek, discovers disturbing details. If she didn't know better, she'd say the legends frightening the ranch hand might be true. But Madison isn't just a wilderness cop. As a biologist and a wild life expert, she believes in facts and science, not scary tales.

Kaletaka, a Hopi Native, enjoys fame among the white man, forging haunting sculptures of half gods, half humans. When he awakens bloody, with no recollection of what he did the night before, he remembers the legends of his tribe, and the meaning of his name. But as hard as he tries, can he escape his destiny?

Can Madison solve the mystery killings and insure the safety of the town? Let alone her own safety? For each step closer to the truth and to Kaletaka, unleashes an unspeakable evil, and no one is safe...


FIND MORE OF VIJAYA'S eBOOKS  AND PAPERBACKS (contemporary, sci-fi, medieval fantasy, all romance) AT:

Vijaya Schartz
Blasters, Swords, Romance with a Kick

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post and perfect time of year for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have gorgeous covers Vijaya. I like the premise of this story and will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the word SKINWALKERS in the title caught me. Reminds me of one of my favorite cheesy movies of the same name starring Jason Behr of Roswell fame. Great cover! Thanks for posting about your latest novella.

    ReplyDelete