Celebrate This Blog!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Time for Giving Thanks




The turkey is thawing, the Parkerhouse rolls and pumpkin pies are baked, the candied red cabbage is on the stove, the potatoes are peeled and it’s almost time for the yearly Thanksgiving gorge!

What do you remember most about Thanksgiving?  I grew up in a family where Dad got up at 6:00 a.m. in the morning, stuffed the turkey and got it in the oven.  I know because I would get up with him and help, mostly because it was a special time to visit with Dad and enjoy his company by myself.  In a house with four children all close to the same age, that wasn’t always possible. 

My mother always made Parkerhouse rolls for dinner.  Her rolls were always perfect, stayed together and absolutely wonderful.  Mine, on the other hand, have a tendency to end up looking like a fat open book and they never taste quite as good.  Mom always compliments me, though, and assures me they are every bit as good as hers ever were.  But I know better.

Dad still wants to contribute so he bakes the pies and he does really well.  More often than not, though, he bakes enough pies for a small army so we all end up with way more than we need.

Now that my folks are older, I’ve taken over the joy of preparing the Thanksgiving feast.  Maybe my stuffing is a little too moist on occasion and my gravy lumpy, but who really cares?  It’s the togetherness that counts.

Here’s wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving!




P.L. Parker is the author of two 99 cent e-books, Riley's Journey and Fiona.



Buy Links:  http://www.amazon.com/Rileys-Journey-ebook/dp/B005SV26KS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1353183360&sr=1-1&keywords=riley%27s+journey+by+p.+l.+parker

http://www.amazon.com/Fiona-ebook/dp/B005SV2838/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1

7 comments:

  1. Patsy, what a lovely post. You are so right, in that it's being together with loved ones that makes the holiday, regardless of the food. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your turkey, and I'm sure I'll love the one I eat on Thursday as well!

    Thanksgiving is such a nice holiday, without worrying about gifts going back and forth!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is a great holiday. All about caring, sharing and being with the ones you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsy,
    Just think that one day your own family will be telling the story of how YOU cooked the turkey dinner for them and how Gramma and Grampa would visit and make the day special.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PL - thanks so much for sharing. Thanksgiving is a special day in that you really get to visit with family. There's nothing like cooking and preparing a meal to draw people together. Thanks for sharing.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ladies! Thanksgiving is probably at the top of my list of favorite holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartwarming post, Patsy. Funny, I don't think I ever saw my dad cook anything at all! Now my mom though was a world-class cook. Belated Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete