Celebrate This Blog!

Friday, November 23, 2012

Leftovers Make Me Hiccup


It's bound to happen. The turkey weighs 21 pounds and you're feeding 15 people. You've collected 4 pies, made a tub of mashed potatoes, cooked a kettle of corn, and you've got green bean casserole left over for days. And let's not forget the stuffing. There's Grandma's "classic" stuffing and this year we're baking up Aaron Sanchez's stuffing with chorizo. Of course I had to make my famous New England Clam Chowder. Everyone raves about it.

After everyone has stuffed themselves as full as the turkey, you've got…Leftovers!

What to do with them?

I've heard it all:

Turkey sandwiches
Turkey soup
Turkey quesadillas
Avocado Turkey salad

I'm eating mashed potatoes for a week. My 6-year-old is eating corn for a week. My husband's eating the chorizo stuffing. Sadly, the dogs still get dog food. For some reason the dogs turn up their noses on Grandma's classic stuffing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a thankful kinda' girl. I'm thankful I've been married for 21 years to a great guy. I'm thankful for my ten-year-old who is a pretty smart guy, my high-maintenance six-year-old. (Yes, he's high-maintenance. I'm 44. He's 6. And he's got sensory issues. I'm burnt out.)

Me and 6-year-old


I'm thankful I have the gift of writing. I'm thankful for my church. I'm thankful I have a great sister, Christine, and 3 great friends, Idgy, Alyssa, and Karen that I've known since high school. I'm thankful for all the online friends I've made on my writing journey.

I just don't know what to do with my leftovers.

What do you do with yours?

Author Bio: Stephanie Burkhart is a 911 Dispatcher for LAPD. Her 99 cent story, "Christmas in Bayeux" is set in Bayeux, France. Visit the beaches of World War II with Aiden. Can he rekindle the love he felt for Noel when she was an exchange student in the US?

CHRISTMAS IN BAYEUX

Opening Line: A light dusting of snow covered the Renault's window.

One line teaser: Noel giggled. "William conquered him."

"Christmas in Bayeux" is the perfect short romance to enjoy during the holiday season or any time during the year, and I highly recommend it." – Diane Craver, Author, A Joyful Heart, Amazon Review


Buy Link:
AMAZON:
http://amzn.com/B005BTLSI8

BARNES & NOBLE:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/christmas-in-bayeux-stephanie-burkhart/1104401603?ean=2940011371806

SMASHWORDS
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/72100

SONY EREADER:
https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/stephanie-burkhart/christmas-in-bayeux/_/R-400000000000000451442

9 comments:

  1. Stephanie, your post made me smile. This year my husband cooked dinner, all gluten free and vegetarian except for the turkey. We sent the dressing and the remaining dribble of cranberry sauce with our daughter. We'll have to eat turkey sandwiches for a few days, but my husband guessed correctly on the spinach soufflé and asparagus casseroles and they disappeared at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, awww...thank you, Sweetie. Good guesses on the spinch souffle and asparagus casseroles. I'm planning turkey sandwiches for the kids' school lunch. LOL!! Poor things.

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  2. Actually, my daughter had to do the turkey dinner thing with her dad's folks and her honey's and brought me leftovers, just enough of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, sounds like you got just the right amount. I'm on the hunt for some avocados....

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  3. I have leftovers from the dish I brought. There was so much food there to choose from, and not enough room for me to eat it all! What feast!

    I did get a few small plates of mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, which I mixed all together and microwaved. The DH did something similar with his.

    Now, it's almost all gone, except for the calories!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calories! Oh my! I didn't even think about them! Maybe I should slip the dogs some of grandma's stuffing in the mashed potatoes. *grin*

      Smiles
      Steph

      Delete
  4. It's your turn now ladies - we had our thanksgiving quite a while ago and I'm still working off the calories!!! Great post Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute post Stephanie - I have enough leftovers to eat all week, but my husband says "Enough!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hiccuped just reading your post! Why do we eat so much at Thanksgiving? Ack!

    On to Christmas and Christmas stories! No food -- just holiday romances! *g*

    ReplyDelete