Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Holiday Humor by Joan Reeves

I like to laugh. That's certainly no secret. I love to see the funny side of life plus I know that laughter can help you survive some of the tragedies life holds for all of us. That's one of the reasons I write romantic comedy like my Christmas Romance Nobody's Cinderella.

So let's laugh a little during this holiday season, and we can start with funny Christmas songs.

Lyricists are writers too. I want to honor a few who have made our holidays memorable. Here is my list of:

The Top 5 Best Humorous Christmas Songs

1.Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer written by Elmo and Patsy  Shropshire.

Their real names are Dr. Elmo Shropshire and Patsy Trigg Shropshire. They were married when they wrote the song, but they’ve since divorced. The song is available in just about every language, and, of course, you can get it as a ring tone. No matter how many times I've heard this dumb song, it still makes me smile.

2.The Chipmunk Song actually entitled Christmas Don’t Be Late written by Ross Bagdasarian, Sr., who was better known as David Seville.

Mr. Bagdasarian wrote this little ditty in 1958. Who would ever have guessed this song would still be around 55 years later? Bagdasarian sang the song using a chipmunk voice so the singing credits were listed as The Chipmunks: Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Alvin? Alvin! ALVIN!?!

3.There’s Something Stuck Up In The Chimney was written by Bob Rivers, D. Amero, and B. Silva according to ASCAP, American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.

Released in 1987 by the Bob Rivers Comedy Corp., the hilarious song, one of my youngest daughter's favorites, tells of poor Santa's demise when he gets stuck one Christmas Eve. Probably all those cookies and milk.

4. The 12 Pains of Christmas is a cut on the Twisted Christmas album. Our whole family screams the "stringing up the lights" line. Yes, I confess, we're all a little twisted I guess.

5. A Message from the King -- Elvis That Is is another cut from the Twisted Christmas album.

Both #4 and #5 were written by the Rivers, Amero, and Silva trio who gave us the #3 selection too.

Post Script

Laughter makes the holidays memorable. Go caroling and sing only funny songs. That’ll leave a smile on everyone’s face. Happy Holidays!

(Joan Reeves writes funny, sexy Contemporary Romance. Her books are available at all major ebook sellers with audio editions available at Amazon, Audible.com, and iTunes. Joan publishes Writing Hacks, a free subscription newsletter for writers, and Wordplay, a free subscription newsletter for readers. Info? Visit Joan's Blog, SlingWords.

4 comments:

  1. Joan, I think "Grandma" is a classic. hehe. My boys love the "Batman smells" one. I think that's been around for a while since I remember it in the 70's as a little girl their age. Scary, huh?

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Steph. Yep, love those classics. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fun songs
    I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus always made me smile.
    I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas.
    All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, those are good too. I can remember my brother singing about those Two Front Teeth when he was little. *LOL*

      Happy Holidays!

      Delete