Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

COOKING UP NEW YEAR'S DINNER




Are you having a family get together for New Year’s Day? Football party? If so, you might want to download my cookbook, complete with menus to make meals easier.

Every region has foods common to that area. Since I live in the Southwest, specifically Texas, I grew up eating foods common to this part of the country. What’s known as “country cooking” or “homestyle” was just that. My mom had eight or nine menus which she seldom varied. Sunday was pot roast, Monday meatloaf, Tuesday meant chicken-fried steak, etc. The variations for her were on weekends. In winter, on Saturdays we had stew, but in summer we had pinto beans and corn bread. Sunday evening in winter might mean waffles instead of leftover pot roast. We joke about it now, but when I was growing up, I didn’t realize her unadventurous style of cooking was unusual.

After my Hero and I married, I discovered a love for cooking and trying new foods and new recipes. I collected cookbooks and recipes cut from newspapers, copied them from magazines, and saved those recommended by friends. I experimented with family recipes until I gave them my personal twist. My mom loved my cooking and the changes I had made to her family recipes. Fortunately, Hero's mom was a mediocre cook, so he loved anything I prepared. Also lucky for me, Hero was taught to eat whatever was put in front of him and be grateful.  You see one of the many reasons I call him Hero.

The exception was when we once had this neighbor who was always giving me recipes she assured me were terrific. She had a degree in home economics, so I thought she should be a great cook. Often when I tried her dishes, Hero would look up from his meal and say, “This is one of ____’s recipes, isn’t it?” He never criticized, but I knew he meant he hated the dish. It didn’t take long for me to realize our tastes and our neighbor’s were very different.

Cover featuring my art work


One day Hero and I decided to create a cookbook from some of the recipes I’d collected over the years. We get these strange ideas occasionally, but they’re harmless. Now our cookbook is available in print or e-book. The result is a list of eight complete menus featuring over fifty recipes. I’ll bet you’ve guessed the e-book’s price, haven’t you? ☺ Yes, it’s only 99 cents. One of the menus is the one we'll have for New Year's Day, with baked ham, sweet potatoes, and a super-easy peach cobbler. Yum!

Here are the buy links:

Smashwords for the E-book
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/265772?ref=CarolineClemmons

Amazon for print and E-book $3.98 for print, $ .99 for E-book
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=caroline+clemmons+Favorite+Southwest+Recipes&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acaroline+clemmons+Favorite+Southwest+Recipes&ajr=0

Wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

  1. Caroline, like you, I love to cook -- and I love to experiment with old favorites and new ideas. Know what, though? No matter how many delicious new dishes I discover, I find myself returning again and again to the old favorites from my childhood. Pinto beans and cornbread -- cooked in a cast-iron skillet, of course, and served with a side of fried okra. YUM! Pot roast, biscuits and gravy, homemade macaroni and cheese, and something Momma called "mock enchiladas." I'll bet you have favorite comfort foods, too -- and, like me, you probably cook them from memory, just tossing stuff into the pan until the dish looks and tastes right. :-)

    I'm heading over to pick up a copy of your cookbook in print. Gotta have cookbooks in print!

    Here's to a happy, healthy, safe, and tasty 2013! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has one or two or more favorite family recipes. I'm so glad to see yours in print! Looking forward to trying some of your Favs. Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I've gone the way of the microwave myself. I used to do very nice meals when I was first married, now it's find an easy way to fix something and do it. The DH and I usually eat totally different meals anyway, but once in a while we have a nice meal together!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Caroline! Family recipes are so interesting. My mom's oatmeal cookies are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline, how exciting that you've put your recipes together in a book. Everyone I think has a signature dish. I'm not too familiar with southwest cooking so you've intrigued me.
    I have a good background for New England dishes growing up in that region. I make a clam chowder that you licking the bowl. lol

    Smiles
    Steph Burkhart
    http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, it's one of my goals to collect my recipes in a cook book, actually recipes inherited from my mother, aunts, mother-in-law, and many friends. Maybe one day. Congratulations for doing that.

    ReplyDelete