Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Old wives tales, old battles, and new years



Here we go again, another year. Another chance to clean the slate. Did you have fun over the holidays? Did you hear the fireworks? I confess, I slept right through them!

The previous year has seen much. The best of it , the worst of it. Are you glad it’s over?

Some of the year’s goals seem never ending. Cooking, fixing stuff (the bent mailbox the neighbors ran over in their revelry (again).

Cleaning seems to never end, doesn’t it? Yet so many superstitions revolve around beginnings and cleanings. It makes me wonder why the old wives never pointed that fact out to the superstition-writers. ;) One article I read on the subject said that “Working hard at a task will guarantee a year of hard labor, for instance, since whatever deeds are performed on that day will influence a person's actions for the rest of the year.”*


Oops. Guess what I did New Year’s Day (let's just forget I was sketching out a follow-up to my first $.99 story House of Cards, shall we)?

Last year saw the release of my first novel. I took a chance I never thought I would.  For this year, I see more of the same on tap: more reading, more writing—more revisions. I hope, if nothing else, to write several more new stories concerning my Caitlin and her favorite Fort Pickens ghost. Caitlin too is already planning out her new year, or so her diary says. ;) (Speaking of the Fort. I hope to maybe visit it this year. Did you know the anniversary of “the” battle happened on January 1st?*) I hope to put out another new project before the end of the year. My first novel for a publisher! :) We shall see. In the meantime, I also hope (pipe dream) to crack ye ole top 100. We’ll see… New year, new hope (where’s the salt?)


The winter will end soon and we’ll be looking forward to planting. Or if you’re here in the south, heck, planting may have already started. I know my garden’s schedule is all fouled up. It’s blooming already!


 As with everyone, I’m looking forward to what the year might bring and I hope this year will be better than last. Are you looking forward to 2013? What’s the year hold in store for you?
 

All my $.99 books, including the new short story in my supernatural fantasy series, (book one, The Artist's Inheritance and Caitlin's Book of Shadows), are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords.

***

Caitlin's Book of Shadows
Though their fame became legend, a rumor cropped up about the Fulmer family: Something terrifying stalked Caitlin and her beloved Trevor. Something the bits and pieces she left claimed she had to make sense of. When the curator of their collection finds Caitlin's long forgotten diary, she wonders will it tell the whole tale? Will it tell why Caitlin seemed so determined to tell the difference between reality and nightmare? Why she thought her world twisted?

Perhaps the answer lies between the lines of her story, one of lessons, struggles, and hopes for each new year.

***

Juli D. Revezzo is a Florida girl, with a love of fantasy, science fiction, and Arthurian legend, so much so she gained a B.A. in English and American Literature. She loves writing stories with fantastical elements whether it be a full-on fantasy, or a story set in this world–slightly askew. She has been published in short form in Eternal Haunted SummerDark Things II: Cat Crimes (a charity anthology for cat related charities), Luna Station Quarterly, The Scribing Ibis: An Anthology of Pagan Fiction in Honor of Thoth, and Twisted Dreams Magazine. She recently released her debut novel, The Artist’s Inheritance.
She also has an article and book review or two out there.But her heart lies in the storytelling. She is a member of the Independent Author Network and the Magic Appreciation Tour. Find out more about her at http://julidrevezzo.com

 
***
Source Suite101: New Year's Superstitions | Suite101 http://suite101.com/article/new-years-superstitions-a204296#ixzz2HrYBsfw3


*Civil War Florida: January 1862: the Second Battle of Fort Pickens, by Dale Cox

4 comments:

  1. Juli, good luck with publishing. Wishing you much success in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Caroline! Much success to you too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to plant tulips, but forgot. I like the kind that come up automatically!

    A new year and more challenges ahead for all of us in the writing department!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go, Julie! I ended the new year sprinting with a friend and began this one that way. So far I have done nothing but edit for others. Snd I write a short story. Wonder what that means?

    ReplyDelete