Celebrate This Blog!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

TIME TO CLEAN UP - by Vijaya Schartz

When I lived in Hawaii and took Japanese Martial Arts lessons (I was a black belt in Aikido), our Japanese Sensei, Sadao Yoshioka, used to tell us about Japanese tradition. In Japan (at least in the old days) New Year's eve was a day of cleaning. People cleaned their houses. But most of all, they tried to renew with lost friends, family members, and clean up all the dirt of the past to start the year on a clean slate.

I try to clean up my writing desk, get rid of last year's research folders. Sometimes it's a surprise to see the actual wood under the piles of papers. Then I feel better about starting a new story, without the skeletons of the old one lying around.

This year I am a little late. The book I planned to send to my editor in December is still in the last editing stages, so the research spills over my desk. You can also find there the flier of my last seminar, the History of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, by James Newcomer, papers on blogging topics (yep), reminders of various deadlines for blogs, conferences, book signing events, festivals...


I can't wait until I send out my edited book this week. Then I'll take an entire day putting away all the hard research I've accumulated last year on Luxembourg. Not modern Luxembourg, but the medieval version, much more intriguing to me as a fiction writer, with its legends of ondines in the Alzette River.

Then I will be returning to writing science fiction romance, with a novella for the Desert Breeze Publishing series BOREALIS. I'm looking forward to it. It will be a breath of fresh air after a year buried in heavy, edgy, dark medieval fantasy romance. This time, it will be heroic sci-fi action, a girl bounty hunter with a blaster gun, and a handsome rebel. Don't we love them most of all?

Left is the cover of Black Dragon, published in 2011 in the same series. The working title for the new story is RONIN (masterless samurai) and is scheduled for release in September 2013.

I wish you all a fantastic year for 2013, full of new experiences, new friends, new loves, new excitement, and above all happiness.

HAPPY READING
Find all my eBooks and paperbacks, including my 99cents titles at: 
AMAZON - B&N - ARE - SmashWords, Sony - Apple - Kobo, and all major retailers.

Vijaya Schartz
Romance with a Kick

4 comments:

  1. Vijaya, I can tell I've been writing on this book too long because my desk piles are growing. I hope to finish my current work this month and then clean off the piles and find the wood underneath. Then, onward to a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a while for me to get into the spirit, but the more I hear about cleaning up, and the more I see all the mess around the house, the more I want to get it done. There's so much of it, I've decided to take baby steps. If I even accomplish one thing each day, I'm doing good!

    And about my desk. I put away a lot of items for Christmas when my family came over, but slowly and surely they're back on top of the desk where they're handy!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, your title scared me! I suck at cleaning, thought I do need to clear a FEW surfaces. Seriously, I have tutoring materials scattered over a huge space so I can turn piles into stacks of like materials for 1 grade each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vijaya, you just reminded me I have to clear my desk. As you said, I can hardly see the wood.

    www.monarisk.com

    ReplyDelete