Celebrate This Blog!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cats are characters, too - By Vijaya Schartz

Bandit
 I love cats, and they always find their way into my stories. Small pets, big cats, even man eating tigers... In my mind, all cats are cats. Their grace and agility never ceases to amaze me.

When you understand the little ones, you get a glimpse of what's going on in the mind of the great predators.Observing house cats as they stalk a bird in the backyard, or the way they play with a toy, tells me how a great feline acts with prey. Knowing how much they love meat, and how hungry they get when I'm late for dinner, gives me an idea of how dangerous a hungry tiger can be.
Spunky
Their indifference is a front. They pretend not to care, but they are watching every move I make. They are aware of the smallest sound and will react only to unusual ones. I know someone is at the door when Bandit dives to hide under the couch.

If something is not right, they now how to get my attention and they let me know. Whether I left the garage door open, or one of them is locked out wanting to come in, they'll come to me and miew until I figure out what's wrong.
Jasmine
When Spunky, as a kitten, was caught in the vine covering the wall, Jasmine, my calico, fetched me and although I had no idea anything was amiss, I could tell she was very upset. She didn't stop miewing and turning in front of me, until I went checking every room. When I realized the kitten was missing, I went outside with her, where she led me to the kitten in trouble.

Cats are wonderful creatures, beautiful and noble, elegant and proud, and if they look at us with disdain sometimes, it's just to remind us that they are the kings and queens of this world, and we are here only to serve them... which we do, and we thank them for the priviledge.

Find out more about my cats on my website. Just click on "cats" at the upper right at

Find my books with cats in them on:
AMAZON  -  B&N  -  ARE  - and in eBook everywhere.

Happy Reading

Vijaya Schartz
Romance with a Kick 

3 comments:

  1. Vijaya, I love cats, too. Your Spunky looks like my Sebastian, who is so long and large that he can stand on his hind legs and peek over the top of the kitchen counter. As you say, he pretends indifference, but he follows me from room to room. Our other cat, Bailey Erin, is shy and never leaves my office, which is where the litter box resides. I also love dogs, but cats are really special, aren't they? Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a dog person, but my mom loved cats. Her part Persian named Queen Elizabeth ruled the household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a dog person, too, but don't tell the cats!

    ReplyDelete