Celebrate This Blog!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Every picture tells your story


PICT0784

You know by now that  I like to take my pictures. :)  I visited the Dunedin History Museum in Dunedin, Florida, last month and found many nifty items that of course will work into Caitlin's next books (whether the follow up to The Artist's Inheritance, I don't know since that one's already finished and in the hands of my critique partner. :)) But! I found this nifty spinning wheel.

Friends of mine work on spinning their own yarn so I couldn't help but snap it for her. No, it's not the best picture, but ...oh well. As you can see, the wheel's kinda jammed into a small space. I've been working one into a new story I'm writing or two (one that I've planned to submit to The Wild Rose Press. :)). I'm researching/thinking now to see how I might be able to work something like it into the follow up to House of Cards, (Reign of Tarot #1) I'm working on. I could see such a hero's daughters or sisters working on such a wheel, couldn't you? Just like I can see Rumplestiltskin spinning gold from one, or Sleeping Beauty nicking her finger on its spindle! Ouch!

This particular spinning wheel I gather--or one like it--would've been used during the time of the Civil War. It might even have been used right there in ye ole Dunedin. Who knows? Pictures can be puzzling and inspiring at the same time. My Caitlin learns that, more than once, in her new life in Florida.

Anyway, the visit to the museum was an off-the-cuff idea a few weeks back but so productive, plot-wise. :) It's a really neat place too if you're ever in the neighborhood, check it out.

So...that's my snapshot. So what about you, ladies and  (and so let's include the gents here too if there are any among our readers)? Has a picture ever told you a story, or inspired a story of your own?

And for the readers, you can take a peek at my stories to see how they worked out for me. In the meantime, think of the picture above. If you lived back before the Industrial Revolution took hold, when hand spinning on such a wheel as the one above was still a prevalent art and way of bringing money into the family coffers, do you think you'd want to try it?


***
The Artist's Inheritance
The balance between good and evil can be an art... or a curse.

Trevor and Caitlin were once happy newlyweds, profiting from Trevor's art. Until Trevor inherits his brother's house, and with it, his part of a family curse. Now, Caitlin will stop at nothing to save her beloved husband from insanity and suicide, even if it means she must embrace her destiny and become a witch.


Caitlin's Book of Shadows
Though their fame became legend, a rumor cropped up about the Fulmer family: Something terrifying stalked Caitlin and her beloved Trevor. Something the bits and pieces she left claimed she had to make sense of. When the curator of their collection finds Caitlin's long forgotten diary, she wonders will it tell the whole tale? Will it tell why Caitlin seemed so determined to tell the difference between reality and nightmare even as she continued the fight to defend her family from evil? Will it explain why she thought her world twisted? If she really became a witch?

Perhaps the answer lies between the lines of her story, one of lessons, struggles, and hopes for each new year. 


The books if you'd like to check them out are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and The Artist's Inheritance also at Smashwords.

***
Juli D. Revezzo has long been in love with writing, a love built by devouring everything from the Arthurian legends, to the works of Michael Moorcock, and the classics and has a soft spot for classic the "Goths" of the 19th century, in love of which she received a Bachelor's degree in literature from the University of South Florida. Her short fiction has been published in Dark Things II: Cat Crimes, The Scribing Ibis, Eternal Haunted Summer, Twisted Dreams Magazine and Luna Station Quarterly. She also has an article and book review or two out there. But her heart lies in the storytelling.Visit her at: http://julidrevezzo.com

5 comments:

  1. Juli, I love photos to illustrate my ideas. I do find inspiration in other's photos as well. I collect family photos and photos of all the locales that I use for my books. I snap interesting old houses as places for my characters to live. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me as an amateur photographer too. When I travel in Texas, I always take pictures of water towers, old courthouse buildings, and old movie theaters. Favorite water tower is in Luling where they have the Watermelon Festival so it's painted to look like a watermelon. Movie Theater is Paramount in Abilene -- simply gorgeous art deco.
    Favorite courthouse? Gosh there are so many beautiful ones i.e. Ft. Bend County, Grimes County, Coryell. The architecture is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great ideas, Caroline. Old houses, old churches, and yep. Old courthouses make great pictures. Movie theaters are great too--especially the really old ones? I'm a sucker for "traditional architecture". ;) (I tried to look yours up, Joan. Google thwarted me, but you've got me curious about that courthouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you ladies. Give me an old church and time to wander and I am content. Let me loose in an old house and I'll wander and explore. I always listen for the ghosts to speak.

    ReplyDelete