Celebrate This Blog!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Polish Easter Traditions




By: Stephanie Burkhart

Easter is a time of year that's celebrated by millions all over the world. Growing up as a young girl in the 1970's my family embraced several traditions. Now, as an adult, I appreciate that love of tradition instilled in me. When Victory Tales Press put out a call for a Spring/Easter anthology, I was excited to write them a story. Drawing on my Polish roots, I set my tale in Warsaw, Poland. American Darrin Riverton is an architect who travels to Warsaw, Poland to help with the construction of the National Stadium and meets Sofia Buraczynski, an interpreter. Can Sofia's faith give Darrin his heart back?

I enjoyed researching the story. Since Sofia and her family are preparing for Easter, they're putting together their family Easter basket to be blessed on Holy Saturday. The food placed in the basket will be used for the Easter feast the next day. Because it's blessed, it all has to be eaten. Some favorite foods include: hard boiled eggs, breads, potatoes, kielbasa, ham, salt, butter, sausage, and fruits. Oh, and don't forget the pussy willow. I discovered pussy willow was used as "palms" in the old days since they didn't have palms in Poland.

Question: How many of you prepare Easter baskets? Do you have them blessed? I'd love to hear about your Easter traditions.

Enjoy this excerpt from "A Polish Heart:"
99 cent contemporary/international/inspirational novella. 

******


Dracek crossed his arms and glared at Darrin, jealousy laced in his eyes. "Because of Sofia?"

"Yes," Darrin said.

"You will only break her heart, American. You will go back to your country and leave. I see how she looks at you. It's you she wants."

"Not you?" asked Darrin, tersely. Anxiety coiled around his limbs.

"I have known Sofia since we were children. I just want her to be happy, but I am not convinced of your sincerity."



************



Review:
"Sofia and Darrin's story is a heartwarming one. Totally enjoyable read." - Tara Manderino, Amazon Reader


BUY LINKS:

AMAZON:http://amzn.com/B007AS29AO


BARNES &NOBLE:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-polish-heart-stephanie-burkhart/1111503774?ean=2940033247875



SMASHWORDS:  
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/164429

5 comments:

  1. I love to do Easter baskets! My 40 year old daughter has told me to skip them, but Mama knows better.

    One year I expected her to come home late on Monday after Easter, so I waited to get candy Monday morning. She came home Sunday afternoon and was not pleased with her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, lol! I love to do Easter baskets, too. It's fun preparing the all the goodies that go in.
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, this was such a cute book. Continued success with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I got an Easter basket!
    They do have an Easter basket blessing at our church, also an Easter egg hunt.

    As far as food, my husband is Polish and loves kielbasa and sauerkraut. I don't care for either, except I do like reuben sandwiches.

    We're going to an Easter brunch, so we'll be able to pick and choose, which is great!

    Happy Easter!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning about how other cultures celebrate. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete