Celebrate This Blog!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pricey Advertising - Should I or Shouldn't I?



I’ve just taken a workshop on how to promote with Google Ads and I find everything about that type of advertisement overwhelming. The costs are really high and I’m thinking maybe I’m not quite ready to spend that kind of money right now.

My promoter has warned our group that unless we have a consistent ranking of #5,000 or less on any book, we should not put our prices up past 99 cents. Sadly, all my books are priced at – you got it - the bargain price of
99 cents!!

It’s hard to stop myself from marking them up when I see competition pricing their books at $2.99 and $3.99, but then I check their ranking, and in most cases, I get it. It’s the numbers of books being bought that matter, not the prices. So therefore, what she says makes sense and keeps me from following the others.

It’s about those darn algorithms. If Amazon sees your book staying at a consistently higher ranking, I understand that they automatically pick you up and put you out in enough queues in order to try and help you stay there. Good thing – right???

And every time I have played with prices, my books drop rather quickly and drop hard. I lose ground and then it takes all kinds of promotions to get the darn book back into a higher bracket again.
 

I guess what we all need to do is write lots of books and gain new readers with each new book released – easier if you’re writing a series –and once you have a number of books selling fairly well – then the time will come to put out the big bucks for the Google kinds of promotion.

Now that’s when the prices can be increased to make the payment of the advertisement cost effective.

Oh Happy Days!!!
 
Another great type of promotion is giving your books away for FREE!!!
 
And Free Partay will be doing that very thing for you
April 2 & 3
Roll the Dice from the
Vegas Series
and...



 
My Cheeky Angel from the Angels with Attitudes series will be available free as my
gift to you.


Share the good news with all your friends!!

4 comments:

  1. This isn't an easy business. That's for sure. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, Here's something to think about: when I raised the prices on most of my books they did take a short slow down in ranking. However, they recovered. In the long run, I sell fewer but make more money. My latest release reached the top 100 western historical romances without me offering it for free or placing it in the Select program. I think we are cheating ourselves at 99 cents unless it's a short novella. Even then, I think 1.99 is good. While it's not just about the money, although I need that, readers value our work more if they pay more for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't spend a lot of money to advertize. Some folks do it well! I hope whatever you do makes you $$$$$$$$$!

    ReplyDelete